Negligent Discharge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Negligent Discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Negligent Discharge

I thought long and hard about telling the story of my negligent discharge. I've lurked here for a while and I've learned quite a bit as a result, and I know what's coming after folks read my story. Still, I'm going to throw myself on the fire. I haven't posted here before now, but I thought I'd swallow my pride and tell a story that might make others think about firearm complacency.

Like many of you, I have an extensive history owning and shooting firearms. I shoot at least three time per month and have been shooting since I was a youngster. I've taken hunters safety classes, concealed carry safety classes, and have had one on one training from qualified instructors. I have always considered myself a responsible gun owner. I carry a concealed firearm to protect myself and my family, and I take the responsibility that comes with that very seriously. That said, I was incredibly, stupidly, idiotically and blatantly negligent.

I was in my reloading room cleaning a couple of revolvers I was going to take to the range that weekend. After I had them cleaned up, I decided to get my two primary carry guns and give them a light cleaning and re-lubrication. I keep them loaded and holstered in a small safe. I unloaded them carefully and gave them a once over. I then re-loaded one of them, put it back in its holster and locked it up. The other, a small framed DAO .38 special revolver, I loaded with snap caps with the intention of working on my trigger control. I have a target tacked to my reloading room wall that I use for this purpose. I pressed the trigger enough times to be comfortable that my sight picture stayed solid throughout the long double action trigger pull. Satisfied, I re-loaded the revolver, holstered it, and placed the loaded firearm on my work bench. I then went about distracting myself with cleaning up my workspace, setting up brass for reloading, and listening to the radio.

Here's where things went south. I was ready to head into the house and without even thinking about it, I slid that loaded .38 out of it's holster, aimed it at that target, and pressed the trigger. This resulted in me negligently discharging a firearm directly through the wall of my reloading room. Ears ringing, I was absolutely stunned at my idiocy. I had, through complete negligence on my part, broken several of the cardinal rules of firearm safety. I don't think I need to list them for you all as I've no doubt you'll do that for me. As well you should. I became one of the very people I've shaken my head in disgust at over the years. Indeed, I'm the guy many of you are shaking your head at as you read this very post. I have no excuse, I was with out a doubt a legitimately stupid gun owner at that point. Some will say I still am.

The brutal truth of the matter is, I knew better, I know better, yet there is no getting around the stupidity of my actions that day. I placed that target in it's position because it had a safe backstop. But, does that even matter? The answer is a resounding no. I, like most of you, firmly believe there are no accidental discharges, only negligent discharges. I was horrified at my actions that day. I'm horrified that I would allow myself to become so ridiculously complacent about the very safety rules I've hammered into others I've been shooting with. I failed as a responsible gun owner that day. I have no excuse. I'm ashamed of myself. I learned a lesson, sure, and I've changed the way I do things, but I committed the cardinal sin of gun ownership. No getting around that.

I fully deserve all that you nice folks can dish out. I get that. I just wanted to tell this story in the hopes that someone else reads it and understands that complacency can be absolutely disastrous. Be ever vigilant, and make the four basic rules of gun safety laws in your life. I truly wish I had, and I can damn well assure you I will for the rest of my life.

I hope this reaches someone before they make the same monumental mistake I did.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #2

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Takes a of grit to admit the truth. Glad you learned your lesson. Thank you for that. Be safe.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Welcome to the FTF.
An ND can happen to the best of us.
Thanks for sharing your story.

(Be safe and participate a little more with the forum.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the story man serves as a lesson to all of us

Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Thank you for the story and a good reminder to all of us. Takes courage to tell about an ND to bunch of people you don't know but I think it just shows how serious you are about safety. Good thing you had a proper backstop.

Be safe.

Oh, and welcome to FTF!

Old 12-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6514

First I thought this was a misplaced Tail Trail thread but its serious stuff.

Now you know why there are few nonbelievers in Foxholes! God is our friend and he let you learn this lesson without bloodshed. Praise the maker when he spares you your own certain humanity from results that are far more damaging than a hole in 2 walls and stained underwear. You are not alone!!!!

In the early 60's, my prior service dad used to keep the SA , Semi Automatic WF 38 that is my moniker fully loaded on the top shelf of his clothing closet 7' above the floor with no shelves to climb to get to it. Add to that he was a lefty like me and removed the safety the day he bought it. My then 4 year old sister moved a chair over to the closet, climbed up and started playing with it! She blew a hole through 4 walls in the house and fell off the perch she was balanced on, luckily letting go of the firearm safely at the same time! By that time, Mom and Dad had run to her side and luckily the only thing hurt was the house! Ive heard the stories of how my 6' tall feisty fencer Mom reacted to the misdeed, there were bruises left, on my Dad and no more loaded guns in the house!

Live and learn and live you did! Welcome out of the dark shadows of lurking Deadeye, glad to have you here. There isn't a single soul on this board with actual long term experience (or short) that hasn't had an "Oh S4it" moment, luckily were all still here to commiserate about them!

Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Deadeye, you just elaborated on what happens to those who have been around firearms for some time, complacency. it makes a person feel like a complete dumbaZZ when it happens! and it does happen, probably more than is ever reported.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #8

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

Yep complaceny is the word of the day. Dont get to comfy around them ever!! I know a guy that shot himself in the ass with a 10mm he throw a double headed axe over his shoulder and got the triger just right lifted the axe and boom. He ended up very lucky nice powder burn down his cheek he was lucky he was walking and had that leg out of the way. He is a retired leo war vet. He got complacent is all.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #9

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Good for you for having the stones to admit your mistakes, it takes a person of character to do that. Accountability is a rare commodity these days...

I don't think anyone here will, or has the right to castigate you for your 'oh sh*t' moment, we all have had one.

That was a great post in that we all need to be reminded that we tend to get too comfortable at times, over-confidence can be just as harmful as ignorance.

I'm glad no one was hurt and thank you again for sharing your story!

Welcome to the best damn gun forum on the webz!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 31

It has happened to just about everyone of us at some point; I'm just glad there were no casualties. And welcome to the forum!

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, thank a soldier.

Veteran
US Army 25th Infantry Division
South Viet Nam