In need of training tips
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > In need of training tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default In need of training tips

A lot of people at school, both guys and girls, have asked me many times if I would take them hunting/shooting. I do not know what to say, because while I can give them the basics, what are some techniques for me, the instructor, to keep not only myself but the new shooter safe? Any tips to get novices and beginners along would be great.

PS I already convinced one friend to buy a gun. He bought a Ruger 10/22 on his eighteenth birthday and now shoots frequently, since I started him

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2889 Times on 1667 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

Have you looked at becoming an NRA Instructor? They have tons of material that will assist in your training efforts and that little card means a lot to shooting ranges.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
A lot of people at school, both guys and girls, have asked me many times if I would take them hunting/shooting. I do not know what to say, because while I can give them the basics, what are some techniques for me, the instructor, to keep not only myself but the new shooter safe? Any tips to get novices and beginners along would be great.

PS I already convinced one friend to buy a gun. He bought a Ruger 10/22 on his eighteenth birthday and now shoots frequently, since I started him
NRA offers instructor courses. If you are concerned I would recommend one.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8878 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

+1000 on the NRA materials.

For a new shooter, a good start (did this with my kids, and now my grandkids) is the basic rules of gun safety. Here is my version-

C3's Rules of Gun Safety

1. Never point a gun at anything you do not intend to destroy. That means paying attention to where muzzle is pointing.

2. All guns are loaded until YOU have checked it for yourself. I am not insulted if I clear a gun, hand it to son, and he immediately checks it for clear.

3. Keep your finger OUT of the trigger guard until you intend to fire. Also known as "Keep yer booger hook off'n the bang switch".

4. Know how your gun functions, and what ammo it is supposed to use. Gun makers have a fascinating thing called a manual. Most will give you one for free, or let you download one. But nobody reads the damned things!

5. Know your target, and what is BEYOND your target. Even the lowly 22 LR can drive a bullet a mile and a half.

6. When cleaning or maintaining a firearm, the FIRST step is to clear the firearm. S U R E it's not loaded. Right. Clear the gun.

7. Store your guns & ammo so they are not accessable to children or child-like adults. They will get peanut butter and jelly on your guns.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default NRA instructor

Thanks for the tips, I taught the one guy to as soon as someone hands you a gun, figure out how to open it up then open it to check if its loaded.

Which NRA certification can I do the most with? Here are the options according to their website:

Instructor ratings are available to conduct the following NRA courses:

Basic Pistol Shooting
Personal Protection in the Home
Personal Protection Outside the Home
Basic Rifle Shooting
Basic Shotgun Shooting
Basic Muzzleloading Pistol
Basic Muzzleloading Rifle
Basic Muzzleloading Shotgun
Home Firearm Safety
Metallic Cartridge Reloading
Shotgun Shell Reloading
Range Safety Officer

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2889 Times on 1667 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

Basic Pistol and Rifle to start with.
Then get the others as you can.

(FL recognizes a signed certificate from NRA as proof of firearms training needed for CCW. Classes are $45 to $100 per student if you are interested in a hobby.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #7

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

IF not already, take a hunter's safety course. contact local wildlife officer.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

easterner; There is a lot of good you can do for the shooting sports by helping to cultivate your friends interest. Keep in mind that alot of it is just youthful curiosity about guns rather than a serious desire to become a world class Skeet shooter or long distance steel champion. You have the chance to help satisfy that curiosity and start them off with a respect for firearms and penchant for safety. The specifics of good trigger control and sight allignment can come later. Its been a long time since I was young but as I remember, most of my interest were rather fickle, a way to try new things not find my way in life. I was lucky to have a father who instilled in me the love and respect for firearms and hunting. It's not something that comes with one trip to the sandpit and a box of olld pop cans. You are the "tip of the spear". Teach them the "Four Rules of Gun Safety" and please ammend your advise to your friend about figuring out how to open a gun to check to see if its loaded. If you have ever watched someone unfamiliar with guns try to open one, it can be scary. Tell them instead to ask the person to open it for them if they don't know how. Dont take more people out than you can keep track of, one or two at a time. Also, this may be a great way to get to know chicks that are worth knowing. Good luck