Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   need some help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/need-some-help-97306/)

jeffkaiser1989 09-19-2013 03:59 AM

need some help

So i have been shooting for a while and have encountered most types of malfunctions and have learned how to clear them. My mother recently bought a glock 19 9x19mm and was asking me to teach her how to clear malfunctions. I know how to do it but i am having trouble showing and teaching her how she doesnt seem to get it. Any advice that might help me show/teach her? thanks in advance

Jpyle 09-19-2013 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989 (Post 1376692)
So i have been shooting for a while and have encountered most types of malfunctions and have learned how to clear them. My mother recently bought a glock 19 9x19mm and was asking me to teach her how to clear malfunctions. I know how to do it but i am having trouble showing and teaching her how she doesnt seem to get it. Any advice that might help me show/teach her? thanks in advance

Tap, Rack and Roll...have her watch this.

http://youtu.be/BfyULpEhmug

Cheever 09-19-2013 08:50 AM

Buy some dummy rounds, stage the malfunctions, demonstrate, and have her do them. Keep all live ammo out of the room and have clearly defined "safe directions" to point the firearm.

CrazedJava 09-19-2013 02:20 PM

Snap Caps in 9mm would work well for this drill. Surprisingly expensive though ($15 for 6 rounds). They make good dummy rounds, fit in the magazine/chamber, but are clearly not live ammo.

A Glock 19 should be easy enough to learn.

JimRau 09-19-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989 (Post 1376692)

If your mother is an accomplished shooter teach her what she needs to know about clearing malfunctions, BUT if she is new to shooting or/and she is not going to train on a REGULAR bases, get her a revolver. She will be much happier and MUCH safer!
Just some advice from an old instructor, not trying to pick a fight or insult you!;)

danf_fl 09-19-2013 08:28 PM

I agree with getting snap caps.

They are a great aid to beginner training.

As the student progresses, you can include them in live fire training.

And they work with the revolver or semi-auto.

jeffkaiser1989 09-20-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRau (Post 1377257)
If your mother is an accomplished shooter teach her what she needs to know about clearing malfunctions, BUT if she is new to shooting or/and she is not going to train on a REGULAR bases, get her a revolver. She will be much happier and MUCH safer!
Just some advice from an old instructor, not trying to pick a fight or insult you!;)

Thanks for the advice but she is brand new and doesnt like revolvers which is why she went with the glock. Believe me i did 3 weeks of constant research for her on different guns but she told me from the get go she didnt want a revolver. I had contacted a friend of mine just before she found the glock she has and was going to set up a time when he me and my mom could go out shoot and he was going to let her try out his revolver but that never happened. Want to thank you guys for the advice and after my ccw course i will get some 9mm snap caps for her. Ive used the .380 ones in my gun to simulate jams and misfires and found them to be useful. So ill see what i can do about getting her some.

CrazedJava 09-20-2013 02:27 PM

As a non-Glock fan I've always maintained the Glock 19 as one of the few automatics I recommend for new shooters. If you're not going to go with a revolver as a first gun the Glock 19 is a solid choice.