Need help dealing with newbie shooters on my range - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Need help dealing with newbie shooters on my range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Was afraid of that...the CCW idea...not knowing what state you're in, occurred to me as I hit 'submit'...

How many RSO's do you have on staff? Sometimes folks need babysitting...

Maybe you could encourage volunteer RSO's with free/discounted range time?
People Like This 
Old 07-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #12

Wow this is really great feedback. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Owner- first, welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, drop by the intro thread and say hello.

Second- I belong to a range that requires ANY new member to attend an on-site safety briefing and walkthru- and NRA membership (we are an NRA affiliated range, and our insurance is contingent on all of OUR members being NRA members). There is also a liability release that is completed by all members and their guests.
Currently I do not do memberships for my range because people who are members will abuse range time. Seems like "members" believe that they are entitled to spend as much time as they please and come to the range whenever they please. I'm not sure how to go about a membership thing in which members cannot abuse their memberships.

Quote:
I am NOT a lawyer, but there IS a legal concept of "inherent risk". When you go to a ballgame, there is an inherent risk that you CAN get hit by a foul ball. If you do, do not bother trying to sue the ball park. That was a risk you accepted by going to a ballgame.
I'm familiar with this concept. But I still like to have as much protection as possible.

Quote:
Third, if you have THAT many folks upset, it is possible that you ARE coming across as rude and abrasive. You may be a sweet guy that loves puppies and kittens, but if you are perceived as Atilla- there is a problem. A gunsmith I like a lot, and spend time sitting and talking with, could scare paint off a fender. He speaks loudly, abruptly. I know why- he is damned near deaf- too many years of no hearing protection on the 30-06 range.
I do come across as rude and abrasive at times; I am a very blunt person.

Quote:
There is a newly opened LARGE commercial range/gun store here in Richmond VA- in an urban area, LOT of pistol shooters. Known as Colonial Shooting Academy. Phone number will come up if you Google them. They have a very nice safety brief and orientation that they do for ALL shooters. On video. You might give them a call, and see if they could share some insights with you.
I'll do that; thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
The range i go to requires that you have an NRA first shots safety certificate.(unless you are LEO, or active duty military) It dosen't matter if you have 100yrs experience with firearms. They also have NRA certified RSOs, that wont hesitate to toss somebody out. The shop makes money on the training, and if you are on the range, you know everybody else there has had at least some formal safety instruction.
This sounds like a very good concept. I will look into NRA first shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
While I appreciate your commitment to safety, I might get the wrong impression and be offended if I were questioned as to my suitability to shoot on a range; and what if, even though experienced, the way I have held my gun for fifty years isn't the way you expect it to be held?
That does come up at times. I do not accept the cup and saucer method except from people who were trained to hold it that way in the military. People do get offended sometimes when I don't accept the cup and saucer method.

Quote:
I agree 100% that a person should feel safe at the place they shoot at. Mebbe a free "membership" to your range, with the requirement that EVERYONE watch a short video, or attend a short range orientation class.
That makes a lot of sense. And if it's a "free" membership, they won't have an expectation to abuse range time.

Quote:
To my mind, the best safety feature is having a range officer monitor the shooting line and enforce safety rules, and do the old "ready on the right, reading on the left, ready on the firing line" type of commands.
I can't afford to hire employees right now. And it's a small range anyway. However, a short video/orientation class followed by a 1-on-1 evaluation, then free membership, might be the answer.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default One thing you CAN do...

If and when you can hire someone is to Hire a Full time RSO to be stationed in the Range itself. My Range makes sure there is an RSO on duty at all times and if new shooters are using the range the RSO is there with them!! Although i am "experienced" No one told me (no RSO or store employee) that i was an incorrect shooter....I had not shot In well over a Year Last Dec. when we started using that range. I have always observed how the staff treats each customer like they were spending a lot of money even if they were shooting for 1 hr and buying one box of ammo!!

Good luck!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

GunStoreOwner,

We have a local range that requires an annual membership. At the beginning of that annual membership before you ever fire the first round you must attend a class on firearms and range safety as well as on the range rules. You must complete the class before you can use the range. If you cop an attitude you don't get to finish the class. Don't let the doorknob hit you where the dog should have bit you.

I don't know what your insurance costs are, but I feel sorry for you. Our annual liability insurance for each rescue truck could have bought me a 2 bedroom house in a very nice neighborhood.
Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If the NEWBs are of the younger crowd (21-30ish), maybe you could evaluate/critique their performance on a first person shooter game's training module? That might be more palatable to the age group.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #16

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

The local Go Kart Track makes you sit through a 15 to 20 minute video the first time you use their facility. Then you sign the applicable forms. There is very little in the way of life & death issues here. It's their facility and their equipment and if wish to use it, you play by their rules. Why should a gun range be any different?
My local Gun Shop/indoor range basically does an interview tied to a safety briefing for each new range user to determine their level of experience. There is also a person manning the counter to make sure no-one gets too stupid. Of course purchase of a firearm gets one 30 days of free range membership. An interview/safety briefing seems like a small price to pay in light of this.
As for the regular members thinking they own the place, here, they get to go to the front of any waiting line, but they are still on the clock (1 hr session limit), same as everyone else.
For those that wish to take classes, you might think of offering Basic/beginner Classes at significant discount with the purchase of a new firearm.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #17

Liked 3135 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 4601

Quote:
While I appreciate your commitment to safety, I might get the wrong impression and be offended if I were questioned as to my suitability to shoot on a range; and what if, even though experienced, the way I have held my gun for fifty years isn't the way you expect it to be held?

I agree 100% that a person should feel safe at the place they shoot at. Mebbe a free "membership" to your range, with the requirement that EVERYONE watch a short video, or attend a short range orientation class.

To my mind, the best safety feature is having a range officer monitor the shooting line and enforce safety rules, and do the old "ready on the right, reading on the left, ready on the firing line" type of commands.
The targets go back and forth on a track, so there is never a "cease fire". And the RSOs keep a close eye on everything. I know people that were raised around guns, and handling guns for years, that scare me....I dont care if somebody gets their feelings hurt....i dont want to get shot by the person in the next lane...
Old 07-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3390 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 1457

Even as an NRA Instructor, I have to view the video at one of the ranges on annual renewal of membership.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #19

Liked 3135 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 4601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
The local Go Kart Track makes you sit through a 15 to 20 minute video the first time you use their facility. Then you sign the applicable forms. There is very little in the way of life & death issues here. It's their facility and their equipment and if wish to use it, you play by their rules. Why should a gun range be any different?
My local Gun Shop/indoor range basically does an interview tied to a safety briefing for each new range user to determine their level of experience. There is also a person manning the counter to make sure no-one gets too stupid. Of course purchase of a firearm gets one 30 days of free range membership. An interview/safety briefing seems like a small price to pay in light of this.
As for the regular members thinking they own the place, here, they get to go to the front of any waiting line, but they are still on the clock (1 hr session limit), same as everyone else.
For those that wish to take classes, you might think of offering Basic/beginner Classes at significant discount with the purchase of a new firearm.
Thats what they do...If you buy a new/used handgun , You get the safety class, and 2hrs range time. RG is the instructor on Thurs nights, and Sat mornings....

Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

GSO...you've admitted sometimes coming across as blunt and abrasive. Unfortunately poor people skills and social media can kill a small business. I don't think there's anything wrong with your requirements for range usage but to quote my grandma you can get more with honey than you can with vinegar. In spite of the inherent dangers and liabilities of operating a gun range it is still a business that has to deal with the public. And people perceive a public gun range as a place where they can gain experience. Sounds to me like you need find a better way to communicate your requirements. Good luck to you.