Need advice on a safety related incident

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Need advice on a safety related incident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Need advice on a safety related incident

Long story short I am an air cadet corporal and I am being punished for briefing cadets on firearms safety (firearm is always loaded, finger off the trigger until ready to fire, if in doubt put the safety on, don't point the rifles at each other) when I am not a qualified instructor. While being trained on the rifle the instructor deemed safe to teach others how to use a firearm failed to give any safety brief whatsoever, subsequently a cadet loaded a drill purpose rifle with a drill round, cocked it, disengaged the safety and fired off the action at the head of another cadet. He was given no discipline other than having to miss the next two trips to the range. Also the qualified instructor was teaching incorrect facts about the rifle and let cadets treat firearms training as a casual activity. I see this as endorsing the incorrect and dangerous use of firearms. Am I wrong to expect cadets to treat firearms with respect and is it really worth demoting me for telling them to be safe because rifles can kill you? Should leave the organisation because personally I would rather never fire a semi automatic centre fire firearm (I'm in the UK so outside cadets or the military I can't) than be associated with an organisation that teaches children that firearms don't kill on practice ranges and that you need a bit of paper to point a rifle in a safe direction and generally highly dangerous use of firearms or am I overreacting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That isn't very short but it's the best I can do

Old 06-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Every organization should have an appeal process in place.

If you get a copy of the curriculem on firearms safety, most of the answers should be explained in there. If the instructor is not following the lesson plan, bring it to the superior's attention and appeal the punishment.

Stress that safety is everybody's objective in the field, in the home, at the workplace. You were only trying to do your part ensuring that there was a safe environment.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

If you get a copy of the curriculem on firearms safety, most of the answers should be explained in there. If the instructor is not following the lesson plan, bring it to the superior's attention and appeal the punishment.

Stress that safety is everybody's objective in the field, in the home, at the workplace. You were only trying to do your part ensuring that there was a safe environment.
But apparently I was undermining the chain of command by wanting to brief the cadets on basic safety. The jist of it being it wasn't my place to tell them not to mess around.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

I think this is great advice to follow with get the hell out of there. If that's how things are being run and it can't be resolved through the proper channels then leave before you get shot.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #6

Liked 173 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Seems like you have a lot of initiative, and that is something that is not normally welcomed by higher NCOs.

You have made them look bad by taking the initiative. It would have been better to bring the deficiencies to their attention in private.

Until you are qualified as an instructor most organizations will not want you to act as one.

Just chalk up the mistake to experience, and then carry on.

Try not to make the same mistake again. The NCOs don't want you to teach until they have qualified you to do so.