Need advice, possibly converting to a lefty

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Need advice, possibly converting to a lefty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 703 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 1931

Default Need advice, possibly converting to a lefty

I've been shooting for several years now but just started shooting more frequently and have noticed that shooting left handed seems a bit more natural, although still a little weird. I am left eye dominate, so I was curious if this is why. I am right handed and have always been.
My question is, would it be better to pursue training as a lefty if I won't shoot everything that way? I obviously wouldn't use bolt actions left handed. I don't want to confuse my brain by using both unless it would improve my abilities with both and I could switch with ease.

Any input is greatly appreciated

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7013 Times on 4220 Posts
Likes Given: 8449

The guy who got me interested in guns shoots rifles lefty and handguns righty. He is a right handed person. I believe it is because he is left eye dominant.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1552 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 7928

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I've been shooting for several years now but just started shooting more frequently and have noticed that shooting left handed seems a bit more natural, although still a little weird. I am left eye dominate, so I was curious if this is why. I am right handed and have always been.
My question is, would it be better to pursue training as a lefty if I won't shoot everything that way? I obviously wouldn't use bolt actions left handed. I don't want to confuse my brain by using both unless it would improve my abilities with both and I could switch with ease.

Any input is greatly appreciated
Sputnik, five years ago I lost the sight in my right eye. After 31 years I had to relearn most of my visual signal \ body action functions. Shooting was not one of them. My father, a 22 year Marine, taught me to shoot with either eye as needed. I was always more comfortable shootin right handed and right eye, but left handed was alao easy for me. Currently I shoot left with long guns and bow, right handed\left eye with handguns. If you want to stay a righty, Put a piece of opaque tape over the left lens of your shooting glasses, or use an eye patch. This will force your right eye to take over.

For what it's worth, If you shoot better with your left eye, use that to your advantage and shoot left handed. Use the right as well and it would probably train you to be able to switch with ease, but in all likelyhood you will still shoot better with your left. The difference will just be less. Hope this helps. Kev.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #4

Liked 703 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 1931

Thanks guys, that is a big help, I believe I'll train a little as a lefty and see where it takes me. Thanks again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sputnik,
I am a lefty and would recommend that you shoot whatever way feels the best in a given situation/with a given firearm. One caution I will give, however, is that is a right-handed world. Besides having to get competent and comfortable shooting left, you will also find out you have to make some adaptations as most handguns are designed to be shot right-handed. I've been doing it for 49 years, so it is definitely possible; I just wanted to point that out.

Kfox,
That is a good tip about covering the opposite eye. I may try that to practice right-handed some.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1552 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 7928

Dallascj, It's one of the things I tried with my wife before she said eff it and went left handed. Both of us are left eye dominant and right handed. It did work, but she was more comfortable shooting lefty. Soon as she has a pistol permit we'll work with handguns and see how she does.

I actually learned that tirck from one of my dad's old range masters when he was in the Corps. Cool trick, and 9 out of 10 times it works. Let us know if it works for you.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #7

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My wife is a righty, but left eye dominate. She uses a position that allows her to shoot right handed but aim with her left eye when using a pistol. She just shoots right hand right eye with a rifle.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #8

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I am left eye dominate also but shoot right handed, I rotate the gun to about 11:00 to align the sights up with my left eye and keeping my stance and grip consistent. It seems to work for me and it was easy to get into being a natural shooting stance. I also shoot left handed for practice but I like the rotated grip best.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #9

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I say train with both hands, can't really see any drawbacks to being a proficient ambidextrous shooter.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting