Need advice/help

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Need advice/help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
GDS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need advice/help

Here's my issue. I have to have a hunter safety certificate to hunt in Wyoming.( first hunting trip out west) I live in Missouri and am not required to have it here. I'm 40 something and did 5 yrs in the Army. I am sure my weapons training/experience, map reading, first aid, survival training, etc.. far exceeds whatever BS they teach in hunter safety. I know most all of the lower 48 states like I know the insides of my gun safes.

So I don't want to waste a weekend sitting thru a class that is not going to teach me anything. I am willing to meet with someone who can give me the certificate. I got the expenses.
Thanks for any help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Your license from Missouri should suffice as proof of firearms competency. I know that it would in Cali.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:11 AM   #3
GDS

Thanks for the reply matt, but Cali is a different world when it comes to firearms. The only liscense I have concerning firearms is a hunting liscense and that does not meet the requirement for Wyoming's " anyone born after Jan. 1 66 needs to have a hunter safety cert.

So can anybody help out with the HSC ?

Old 03-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #4

BROTHER im am sorry to tell you that the state (any of them ) dont fully deem you competent unless you pass there lax and underachiever status quo so you might just want to take the time and go through the class you never know be the end of the class you might just have a new job as an instructor

Old 03-27-2008, 04:28 AM   #5
GDS

I know what your saying gnoll, but I have never been able to tolerate stupid.
I made that point perfectly clear to Brian Neives when he was trying to get elected ( which he did) and shortly there after the state of Misery (MO) passed the concealed carry. But my background and experience paid for by the US Army/ taxpayers is totally disreguarded? WTF
I have a problem with that.

"you might just have a new job as an instructor" I could, but I won't.

So any HS course instructors willing to sign off on the SS ?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So, you want a certified instructor to sign off your HS cert., so you don't have to waste your precious time, while the instructor risks losing his certification. Is that about right?

Sounds like an awful lot to ask. Also sounds like it could be a set-up. Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but it goes with the job.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-11-2008, 05:45 AM   #7

look all im saying is that some states dont recognize other states hunters safety
or there CCW so they make you pay there taxes to get sed rights

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDS View Post
Here's my issue. I have to have a hunter safety certificate to hunt in Wyoming.( first hunting trip out west) I live in Missouri and am not required to have it here. I'm 40 something and did 5 yrs in the Army. I am sure my weapons training/experience, map reading, first aid, survival training, etc.. far exceeds whatever BS they teach in hunter safety. I know most all of the lower 48 states like I know the insides of my gun safes.

So I don't want to waste a weekend sitting thru a class that is not going to teach me anything. I am willing to meet with someone who can give me the certificate. I got the expenses.
Thanks for any help.
First of all, what you're asking any instructor to do is ILLEGAL. Part of being a hunter is being ETHICAL. The two main focuses in the hunter ed course are safety and ethics.

I've been in the Army National Guard/Reserves for 14 years, did one tour in Iraq, and will be going BACK to Iraq in a few months... when I was in Iraq, I lost a friend who blew his head off "on accident" because he did something stupid.

I teach hunter education, and I take offense to your regarding it "BS", much less outright calling it that. I would be led to believe you actually NEED the course.

[strike]Unfortunately, it seems you don't have to take it. All 50 states conform to the IHEA (Internation Hunter's Education Association) guidelines, therefore, your Hunter's Ed card from Wyoming is good in all 50 states and several countries around the world. Happy hunting...[/strike]

My mistake, I misread your original post. I thought you had already taken the course in one state, but needed it in another.

Take the hunter ed course. I'd bet money you DO learn something inspite of your military experience.

Last edited by hydrashok; 04-20-2008 at 03:24 AM.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #9

I believe that it is just the dumbest rules for someone with your extensive firearms background but unfortunately you will have to go through the stupid states course and pay the stupid fee just another way for states to ripoff honest working law abiding people

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT