Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > On the Necessity of Resistance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Default On the Necessity of Resistance

"I just decided not to be a victim. In an instant."

The nature of a mass shooting is the ultimate expression of human predator vs. human prey.

From Oregon to Arkansas to Pennsylvania to Virginia, there are some common threads to all of these horrifying events.

While we can argue the need for more police or armed citzens or gun control ad nauseum, the one thing that will ALWAYS be necessary to prevent such extraordinary tragedy is a willingness to resist.

Do not waste your time arguing over who is responsible. Do not waste your energy trying to convince those in charge that they are wrong for denying you legal access to a firearm.

Instead funnel all of that energy into developing the rightous indignation that will result in the will to resist this type of cowardly aggression.

It is inconceivable that a single individual armed with a pistol can overwhelm 10 times his number unless those individuals choose NOT to resist.

The presence of a firearm alone is not enough to deter violence of this sort. Only an individual or group of individuals determined to resist can do that.

A firearm in the hands of a coward is merely a nuisence in this scenario.

A firearm in the hands of a determined, skilled, and capable individual is the other hand, the savior of multiple lives.

All is not lost without the presence of a weapon in this scenario.

There are countless examples of willing individuals thwarting armed individuals with nothing more than their bare hands.

In a potential violent situation, make the certain determination not to do whatever the suspect wants you to do.

This may include a pretend or false compliance until an opening presents itself, but sometimes you may not have this opportunity and be forced to create your own.

This may include fleeing or diversion. It may include standing your ground and fighting and possibly dying.

However it is imperative that you not surrender and mandatory that you resist in some way.

Heroes will die some day, possibly today.

Victims die every day of their lives.

Resistance is often the determining factor in how survivors recover from traumatic incidents and frequently those that do not resist in some way but still miraculously survive, live with post traumatic stress than makes their lives unbearable.

Resistance on the other hand, reduces the effects of this type of post traumatic stress.

Don't rely on a suspect's mercy. Ever. The nature of their crime indicates that they do not regard society's beliefs and cutures in the least.

Their initiative sentences them justly to whatever the righteous man does.

Make a commitment at this moment that if you are ever faced with this type of violence, that you will resist.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have made that commitment and will not go out without a fight!! +10 on this post, Jack!!

Scott

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Great post! This is the very mindset people need to have before they ever conciver carrying any type of weapon for self defense.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

+1

Great post.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

A long time ago I decided that I will neither go quietly or alone.

Everybody dies someday.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-08-2009, 01:38 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you met every point that could be said. Agree totally.

SOUTHERN BORN CONSERVATIVE REDNECK AND VERY PROUD OF IT

ARMY 1970-1971 MP SGT Nam
Army 1976-1994 MP/CID Agent 1SG

Old 08-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #7

I could SWEAR I've posted this on this forum before! I just searched all my posts, and I can't find it. I've written an article on this very topic.

...and I preach it! Another instructor and I disagree on teaching this topic because of being... hmmm... not "politically correct", but "socially acceptable". In other words, he said WE can't teach kids in school to take a stand against an armed madman (or fellow student).

I say, "HOGWASH!" I'd rather be on the news crying and boo-hooing about how my dead son was a hero who at least TRIED to stop Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold instead of his body being found cowered down under a desk.

It's time we stop teaching our children to be uninvolved! It's time we realize the government can't protect us from everything! What would have been the best way to stop Harris and Klebold??? If everybody, en mass, jumped up and screamed like a band of banchees as they tackled and beat the $#!T out of those two WIMPS! They had guns, but they were friggin' WIMPS!

Five or six kids MAY have been shot... one MAY have died. In Ancient Athens, mothers would tell their sons, "Come back carrying your shield or riding upon it!" It's time we stop raising a bunch of pu$$ies!!!

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 08-08-2009, 02:33 AM   #8

IGETEVEN and HYDRASHOK I couldn't have agreed with either of you more. Every morning after we pray, I tell my daughter to make sure she listens to her teacher and be a leader (she's only 4 but her teacher raves about how she doesn't follow the other kids when their being bad). And from what I know about leadership, a leader takes a firm stand to do what's right regardless of popularity, and a leader fight for what's right and resists what's not. Anyway, I wish everyone would take a stand against the bad guys when they rear their ugly head.

Amp

Old 08-08-2009, 03:04 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's your responsibility.
Exceptional post! It isn't just our right to defend ourselves and our own, but our responsibility. Who else is going to preserve us? The police? Some mystical spirit? There is no one charged with the duty of making sure that you survive an attack, so if you want to make it through and make it home, be prepared. Have the tools you need, and be intimately familiar with their employment. Learn to recognize threats and avoid them, but if they come to you, be ruthless in doing away with them. What's the phrase? "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"?
Criminals have no rules regarding the rights of their victims. Why should we have rules respecting the rights of criminals?

Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I GET EVEB and HYDRASHOCK, I do agree with what you said 100% and that is why I reached that mindset years ago. For the most part, you probably will come out better by not being complacent in a situation of being a victim. You will most likely take the aggressor by surprise because they are naturally thinking you will be intimadated by what ever method they are applying, they are not expecting you to resist and that momentary hesitation is in your favor.
Any way you are exercising your rights under the BILL OF RIGHTS to not be a VICTIM
Layton