My dad and home protection... - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > My dad and home protection...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I agree. If your in my house there won't be a warning...
I have nothing against a 'warning' as long as it is on my terms (the element of surprise)!
If I am behind COVER and have the drop on the bandits I don't have a problem with a verbal engagement. Have you ever seen what a mess 5 quarts of blood, not to mention body parts, makes in a house?
I have and if I can avoid the mess I will opt for that.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post

I have nothing against a 'warning' as long as it is on my terms (the element of surprise)!
If I am behind COVER and have the drop on the bandits I don't have a problem with a verbal engagement. Have you ever seen what a mess 5 quarts of blood, not to mention body parts, makes in a house?
I guess your like your carpet.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I guess your like your carpet.
The only carpet in my house is on the stairs going to the basement!
But it would still be a mess.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

The only carpet in my house is on the stairs going to the basement!
But it would still be a mess.
I understand

Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #35

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Beastmode. What did your dad decide on? just kinda curious is all.

If he really feels it can;t happen to him, and wants to go with a pistol with a trigger lock, I would say get a dog. That way, there will be some advanced warning, which will buy him more time in a panic situation. Besides, a dog, even a small one, makes a good deterent for most criminals. The true bright side to it is, that the dog doesn't need a gun to stop a threat.

IMHO, a 12 gauge shotgun would be much better than a handgun for HD. A few years back, there was a study in which criminals in prison were asked what gun and person combo they would be most likely to back down from. The choices were:

1: Male with a handgun.
2: Female with a handgun.
3: Male with a rifle.
4: Female with a rifle.
5: Male with a shotgun.
6: Female with a shotgun.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I know that either of the sexes with a shotgun was the #1 "Oh Sh!T!" or "I'm outta here!" choice with over 70% of criminals saying they would bolt or comply with the home owner's demands. Kinda hard to argue those numbers. If he goes for a shotgun, i suggest a pump action. There is no better way to say "Wrong house" then the racking of said shotgun sending a round into the chamber. Trust me, it is a very scary sound to hear in a dark house. Even if you belong there.
We have a dog. He has not bought his gun yet.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #36
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1730 Times on 1065 Posts
Likes Given: 9211

Quote:
From a tactical/survival point the the 'racking' sound is just plain stupid!
1. It informs the bandit(s) you are aware they are present thus ends your tactical advantage of surprise.
2. It informs them how you are armed.
3. It give away our location.
Way to much intel for the bandit(s). Just some advise from an old cop/soldier use it as you please!
Quote:
I agree with you Jim. Both a shotgun, and a handgun have pros and cons. I only prefer a shotgun, with a handgun for back up, because I live in an apartment, and because the state that I live in has a law that states that my wife ( who is waiting on her pistol permit) can be charged with a felony if she even touches my handguns, and shooting them, even in self defense, would lead to a possible longer sentence. I do not worry about the racking of a slide cueing the BG in to my location. At that point he will already be occupied with my 90 pound lab, and at that point, he will already have gotten his warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
We have a dog. He has not bought his gun yet.
Is he atleast considering and weighing his options?

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
I agree with you Jim. Both a shotgun, and a handgun have pros and cons. I only prefer a shotgun, with a handgun for back up, because I live in an apartment, and because the state that I live in has a law that states that my wife ( who is waiting on her pistol permit) can be charged with a felony if she even touches my handguns, and shooting them, even in self defense, would lead to a possible longer sentence. I do not worry about the racking of a slide cueing the BG in to my location. At that point he will already be occupied with my 90 pound lab, and at that point, he will already have gotten his warning.

Is he atleast considering and weighing his options?
Yes he is. he does not want to spend alot so im trying to get him to lean towards a gun with a polymer frame. he aid the sd40ve did not feel to bad.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #38
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2947 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

One aspect he seems unaware of is adrenaline. You WILL have a ful dose of adrenaline coursing through your veins when your front door gets kicked open @ oh dark thirty. Adrenaline has a nasty habit of screwing up your fine and complex motor skills. Pulling a trigger? Fine motor skill. Pushing the safety off? Fine motor skill. Doing both, in the proper order? Complex motor skill. Racking a slide? Gross motor skill. Gross motor skills get BETTER under stress.

The "cruiser ready" mode may give away your position, intent and armament. None of those matter if you cannot get the shot off because you have been awakened from a dead sleep and have the manual dexterity of a sloth on novocaine.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
One aspect he seems unaware of is adrenaline. You WILL have a ful dose of adrenaline coursing through your veins when your front door gets kicked open @ oh dark thirty. Adrenaline has a nasty habit of screwing up your fine and complex motor skills. Pulling a trigger? Fine motor skill. Pushing the safety off? Fine motor skill. Doing both, in the proper order? Complex motor skill. Racking a slide? Gross motor skill. Gross motor skills get BETTER under stress.

The "cruiser ready" mode may give away your position, intent and armament. None of those matter if you cannot get the shot off because you have been awakened from a dead sleep and have the manual dexterity of a sloth on novocaine.
For me its kind of weird, if im sleeping I wake up when someone comes in my room or gets within like 15 ft of me lol
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Correct you are for a person who has not had much experience with combat, BUT, strange as it may seen, I have found myself only getting the adrenaline rush when I am in a high speed chase. Nothing else really phase me anymore. I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing!