Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > My dad and home protection...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
I keep my gun unsecured in a holster on the dresser . I make sure to secure it if anyone is visiting and might get near it . I also caution everyone I know that if they ever find my gun, to treat it as if it is loaded " because it will be ".
I used to keep it under my bed and in all those years, it never attacked me (LOL ).

If Vice-President Biden's wife ever followed his advice to fire a couple of shots from her double-barrel to scare away anyone lurking outside, she'd scare away her Secret Service detail .
She'd be breaking the law, could injure or kill an innocent person ( what goes up must come down ) , would end up with an empty gun and might fail to scare off the intruder ; Can you imagine the late Christopher Dorner running in terror of Mrs. Biden ? Some intruders might assume they were being shot at and fire back, too .

Here's a real life example of the Biden plan in action :
Years ago, a Maryland man heard noises, got up, fired his shotgun out the window blindly and killed his newspaper boy . The boy, incidentally had helped Senator Joe Tydings in his anti-gun efforts . The media made a gun banning martyr out of the boy .

Biden is a B.S. artist with a long record . I'm sure his wife doesn't keep a shotgun at hand with all those Secret Service guys ----with UZIs !

Joe Biden Says Get A Shotgun, Women Try Out His Advice ( see link ) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A0IVSGctQIg
What's funny is after the warning shots you have to reload lol

Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #12

Liked 157 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
Have him look at the vertical ones which hold the gun standing up / draw position...maybe called "speed vaults" They have those with the biometric lock as well....and they can be mounted to a wall or even the bed frame or a piece of furniture...cost maybe the same as the others. Where about in Illinois does he live? I used to live near the WI / IL border...right between Chicago and Milwaukee
Naperville

Old 03-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #13

Liked 265 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Naperville
You probably won't believe this, but when I was growing up, Naperville was all farmland....in the 60's
My uncle had an 80 acre farm there.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
You probably won't believe this, but when I was growing up, Naperville was all farmland....in the 60's
My uncle had an 80 acre farm there.
Wow really? It does not seem like it lol

Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #15

Liked 265 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Wow really? It does not seem like it lol
I know. I was up there on business about ten years ago and I couldn't believe it. I shot my first gun there, on his farm.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

When you get that sudden splash of adrenalin slamming through your bloodstream fine motor skills decrease rapidly, and they may be gone for up to 5 minutes. A key lock is not the way to go unless he plans on taking off the lock when he goes to bed. Neither is a combination lock.

There are many ways to do this, but I usually suggest something that will have you moving toward concealment or cover to get at the gun. A simple holster attached to the bed slats will get you out of sight while reducing the chance of one of those bump in the night shootings of a family member. By the time you hit the floor, you should be awake enough for proper target ID.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #17

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

When i was young my old man always kept his 357 mag in the holster in his night stand right next to him fully loaded. The only problem with that was he took meds to sleep and if it was loud enough to get him awake he was pretty much drunk for a good 10 minutes before he could be useful. So he got me a shotgun when I was 15 I was a light sleeper and I would wake up if someone went to the bathroom but we use to run drills in the house for break in's.

But I like the idea of the safes you just touch the finger pad and they pop open but I still prefer to have the gun out in arms reach just in case something happens. Same way when I go camping my shotgun just has to be racked the safety popped and I'm ready for action.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 03-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #18

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Whether your dad chooses a shotgun or a handgun for HD it makes sense to have it close by the bed since that is where most people feel the most vunerable. When you are awake, you always have the option to carry. When I am awake at home I always pocket carry a .380.

I also don't like the idea of leaving guns laying around even though that's what my dad did and we never had a problem. Today, there are lots of good storage options available that provide quick access, especially for handguns that weren't around back then. Heck, we didn't have bicycle helmets or air bags either!

I like the simplicity, durabilty, and proven reliability of the mechanical push-button locks. Most people refer to them as a Simplex lock, which is really a model made by Kaba. Designed to be opened by feel only and is as fast as anything with just a little practice.

Do your research carefully when it comes to biometric scanners. Seems like a lot of people have issues with them. I like the latest, greatest electronics and technology like most people, I'm just not sold yet on their reliabilty and seems like there are too many variables that could effect its operation. So, I'm not comfortable using it on something my life might depend on.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 03-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
Whether your dad chooses a shotgun or a handgun for HD it makes sense to have it close by the bed since that is where most people feel the most vunerable. When you are awake, you always have the option to carry. When I am awake at home I always pocket carry a .380.

I also don't like the idea of leaving guns laying around even though that's what my dad did and we never had a problem. Today, there are lots of good storage options available that provide quick access, especially for handguns that weren't around back then. Heck, we didn't have bicycle helmets or air bags either!

I like the simplicity, durabilty, and proven reliability of the mechanical push-button locks. Most people refer to them as a Simplex lock, which is really a model made by Kaba. Designed to be opened by feel only and is as fast as anything with just a little practice.

Do your research carefully when it comes to biometric scanners. Seems like a lot of people have issues with them. I like the latest, greatest electronics and technology like most people, I'm just not sold yet on their reliabilty and seems like there are too many variables that could effect its operation. So, I'm not comfortable using it on something my life might depend on.
Ehh not sure if my dad even wants to carry. He has the ''it will never happen to me mentality.'' He has strong faith in god as do I but I still like to be prepared.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #20

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Ehh not sure if my dad even wants to carry. He has the ''it will never happen to me mentality.'' He has strong faith in god as do I but I still like to be prepared.
So.....why does he want a gun?

Glenn
FAS1SAFE