My dad and home protection...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > My dad and home protection...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default My dad and home protection...

Im not sure if this is the right spot for this thread.

Anyway, my dad finally got his foid card yesterday and now he says he wants to buy a gun this weekend. We started talking about home protection, he wants a handgun(I said to get a shotgun he said no) Then he says that when he keeps it next to his bed/in his nightstand HE WANTS TO HAVE A LOCK ON IT! Am I the only one that finds that a bad idea? I tried explaining a home defense gun shouldnt have a lock on it and he didnt listen. I also tried explaining that you have a lack of fine motor skills when your life is in danger, he still insisted he knows what hes doing.

That being said, I will show him this thread at the end of the day so let me know what you guys think!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #2

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

A shotgun is always a good idea, but not a dbl. barrel like the VP suggests.... Does he lack motor skills or is that just part of your argument? A bedside gun is a good idea, but it should be secured in some way. A handgun safe, biometric type comes to mind. Any kids in the home, grandkids, nephews, etc.? It's always a mix of having the gun there when you need it but not having it there for anyone else to pick up, either friend or foe. There are literally tons of articles addressing this. The outdoor channel has a program called "Best Defense" which details different scenarios of personal protection, and home invasion is always one of the main subjects. If there is any doubt that safety and availability are going to be an issue then it needs to be fully explored before any decision is made. It's a balance that has to be kept.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't like the idea of a gun in the night stand drawer, too easy to grab it when you are only half awake. Yea speed is good, but I rather be fully awake. I keep mine in a biometric safe that is next to my dresser just three feet from the bed. I had to get out of bed and make the effort to open the safe. It stores about 30 prints so I have both thumbs and both index fingers coded many ways and it has never failed to open when I want it to. It is bolted to an 8 foot 2x4 that runs behind the dresser so it would be very hard (not impossible) for someone to just carry the safe away. I figure where I live I will never need it, but nice to have it there. Time would never be so critical that I would not have time to get it as I have a good alarm system and two large dogs as the first two lines of defense. BTW the gun is a Glock G22 .40 cal with 15 rounds loaded.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3150 Times on 1817 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

My wife and i are the only ones in our house, no kids or grandkids. We do not secure our firearms, we have a couple loaded and stashed in various places.

I would rather have an semi-auto kept separate from the loaded mag., or a revolver kept separate from a speedloader available then any gun with a trigger lock or padlock installed.

A biometric safe is a viable option, but not something you need to unlock with a key or try to key in or dial in combo. to.

And, my last 2 cents; if I had only one HD gun available it would be a 12 ga. pump shotgun w/ a short barrel!!

Decided to add this, with edit:

In today's environment it is also much easier to find the shotgun you prefer and accumulate the ammo you want for HD and any other use you may have in mind for a 12 ga.

Last edited by eatmydust; 03-13-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Due to current environment.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
I figure where I live I will never need it, but nice to have it there.

That's the best advice anyone could give. It's along the lines of "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" The chances of a home invasion are slim, but so is winning the lottery....and that happens every day.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 03-13-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
A shotgun is always a good idea, but not a dbl. barrel like the VP suggests.... Does he lack motor skills or is that just part of your argument? A bedside gun is a good idea, but it should be secured in some way. A handgun safe, biometric type comes to mind. Any kids in the home, grandkids, nephews, etc.? It's always a mix of having the gun there when you need it but not having it there for anyone else to pick up, either friend or foe. There are literally tons of articles addressing this. The outdoor channel has a program called "Best Defense" which details different scenarios of personal protection, and home invasion is always one of the main subjects. If there is any doubt that safety and availability are going to be an issue then it needs to be fully explored before any decision is made. It's a balance that has to be kept.
I forgot! Ill tell him to go on the back porch and fire two rounds into the air! That should scare em off!

Old 03-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
I don't like the idea of a gun in the night stand drawer, too easy to grab it when you are only half awake. Yea speed is good, but I rather be fully awake. I keep mine in a biometric safe that is next to my dresser just three feet from the bed. I had to get out of bed and make the effort to open the safe. It stores about 30 prints so I have both thumbs and both index fingers coded many ways and it has never failed to open when I want it to. It is bolted to an 8 foot 2x4 that runs behind the dresser so it would be very hard (not impossible) for someone to just carry the safe away. I figure where I live I will never need it, but nice to have it there. Time would never be so critical that I would not have time to get it as I have a good alarm system and two large dogs as the first two lines of defense. BTW the gun is a Glock G22 .40 cal with 15 rounds loaded.
He likes the biometric safe idea. He's looking at the 200$ barska

Old 03-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #8

Have him look at the vertical ones which hold the gun standing up / draw position...maybe called "speed vaults" They have those with the biometric lock as well....and they can be mounted to a wall or even the bed frame or a piece of furniture...cost maybe the same as the others. Where about in Illinois does he live? I used to live near the WI / IL border...right between Chicago and Milwaukee

Last edited by Missouribound; 03-14-2013 at 04:01 AM.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #9

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I keep my gun unsecured in a holster on the dresser . I make sure to secure it if anyone is visiting and might get near it . I also caution everyone I know that if they ever find my gun, to treat it as if it is loaded " because it will be ".
I used to keep it under my bed and in all those years, it never attacked me (LOL ).

If Vice-President Biden's wife ever followed his advice to fire a couple of shots from her double-barrel to scare away anyone lurking outside, she'd scare away her Secret Service detail .
She'd be breaking the law, could injure or kill an innocent person ( what goes up must come down ) , would end up with an empty gun and might fail to scare off the intruder ; Can you imagine the late Christopher Dorner running in terror of Mrs. Biden ? Some intruders might assume they were being shot at and fire back, too .

Here's a real life example of the Biden plan in action :
Years ago, a Maryland man heard noises, got up, fired his shotgun out the window blindly and killed his newspaper boy . The boy, incidentally had helped Senator Joe Tydings in his anti-gun efforts . The media made a gun banning martyr out of the boy .

Biden is a B.S. artist with a long record . I'm sure his wife doesn't keep a shotgun at hand with all those Secret Service guys ----with UZIs !

Joe Biden Says Get A Shotgun, Women Try Out His Advice ( see link ) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A0IVSGctQIg

Last edited by Rentacop; 03-14-2013 at 04:54 AM.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Biometric safe.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA