My 3rd Max Velocity tactical class - Patrol class

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > My 3rd Max Velocity tactical class - Patrol class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Default My 3rd Max Velocity tactical class - Patrol class

Just got done with Max's Patrol Class, what a way to spend a 3 day weekend!!!
His attempt to make a concentrated Infantry curriculum that builds on the CRCD class was highly successful IMO.

First off, It..... was..... COLD.
Yes 19F doesn't sound as cold as some other weathers we've all been in but remember here we are not just crossing a parking lot to get into the office we were outside all day for 2 days and at the end it was a full day AND a night and then the rest of the next day until 1630.
When you add that most of use tried to dress light enough so we could still move low and fast and that it we sat still on our chairs during the (outdoors) classroom session, then you realize it was COLD.

We had 9 students so we were enough for a full squad and this enabled us to fully exercise flanking and fire support elements more on this later down in this review.

One of the first things we did after Max taught/reviewed Small Unit Tactics on the Squad/Platoon level was a flanking live-fire Squad attack against a fixed position ("Bunker"). In other words we basically picked up where CRCD left off which is perfect IMO.

This served to reinforce the lessons learned at earlier classes and also to switch us on.
As a group it took some a couple of hours to hit our stride and get "into the game" so to speak because the cold served as a training distraction IMO.

Early on we also Squad level patrols in difficult terrain and honed our ability to act as part of a squad/fire team on the move, going into the Herring bone formation or diamond formation at the halt, hand signals etc etc.
We learned and then practiced setting up a lay-up patrol base including the security elements inherent and so on.
Those without military experience were introduced to some new concepts and those with military experience got some much needed refresher training.

One of our highlights was when we sent out 4 man Nighttime Recon patrols made up of students. They were based on the scenario in a logical way and maps that Max provided. This was a real good student led exercise which honed our skills showed us what we can do and what we cant do (yet).
We exercised our terrain association, capabilities and limitations of night vision equipment , we (re)learned how the night turns a easy mission into a challenging one and how to integrate the strengths of individual team members.
On the Recce I was blessed with a mature, attentive and well equipped Fireteam .... this allowed us to successfully complete our mission, get the needed Intel while avoiding detection and injury.... all while traversing challenging terrain at night.

Our overnight stay in the patrol lay up was very chilly since we were trying to keep our signature low (its a patrol lay up site NOT a bivouac ! ) so we were not in tents but just under tarps, And the 19 F wind howled all thru our tarps.
When I went to my Sentry Duty shift I was wrapped in my Poncho liner,.. (brrrr)

This Infantry weather added a lot of realism.

The ambush training event was also a high payoff exercise.
Learning how to lay a professional ambush was also included and this is an event that deserves all of our attention.

Our capstone event was on Day 3, after a chilly night of very little sleep, we marched up some hills and down some hills on a part of the facility we had never seen before and conducted a raid
We had been briefed on our objective: a location were elements of the (exercise notional) NT14 death squad, were laid up to rest from (also exercise notional) reprisal and terror operations against the areas patriot towns in the service of notional rogue agencies..

We split up into an assault and fire support element.. The fire support element laid down suppressive live- fire, and lifted/shifted fire when we, the assault team moved in.
As soon as the suppressive fire started , we the assault element raced up a dry creekbed (dead ground) , while the rounds were zipping into our objective.
A flare signalled the fire support team to lift and shift fire and the assault team sprung up from the creekbed and overran the objective all while pumping live rounds into the generously supplied "enemy" targets.

I have not been this this exhausted for a long time as when I was hitting the limit of the objective and bounding back.

I would say to Max who designed this course, this training is the real deal, Mission accomplished!

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix
Bigcountry02 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #2

Liked 245 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've tried out a lot of cold weather gear .

My recommendations for staying warm include Cabela's Polar Weight MTP underwear ( warmest I've found ) and their Polar Weight ECWCs ( best all-around underwear but less warm ) .

The army's Gore-Tex parka and pants stop wind and rain but don't breathe great .

Waterproof your boots with Sno-Seal or equivalent . Wear thick wool socks such as Smartwool Trekking or Bridgedale . Carry a spare pair of socks made of synthetic fabric that will dry fast .

I have a thin nylon / silk balaclava by Wintersilks to wear under my hooded parka .

I like the civilian version of the Air Force N3B Parka but it can make you sweat . A layered system would likely be preferable .

Chemical handwarmers ( Hot Hands or Grabbers ) work great . Holding a pair in your hands warms your whole body .

Eat a high-fat snack such as a chocolate bar of sausage .

I like Grandoe's mittens . Mittens make your fingers share warmth . Carry some compact gloves to use when you must shoot or be ready to do so .

The basics : Windproof / Waterproof breathable outer layer, insulating layers, a snorkel hood to block wind, face covering, all skin areas covered .

Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #3

Ok folks i am going to give this another bump because I think its important.

Do you ever sometimes think about hiring a security consultant?
Well guess what?

Go to a couple of these classes and you are your OWN security consultant to understand terrain and application of force.

These classes are extremely affordable for what they offer , cost a fraction of the faddish tacticool classes and provide so much more learning for you.
A guy flew in form Montana last time. And they had people drive in from Minnesota before! ( Class is in West Virginia)

Also remember this: once acquired.. skills can never be stolen or left behind during a bug out.

Think about it!

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Bigcountry02 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1358 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

I don't know if 3 days can compare with 60-90 days of advanced infantry training in the military but any training is better than none. Every civilian gun owner and patriot should know the basics. Given the state of this country, you may need those skills someday.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
I don't know if 3 days can compare with 60-90 days of advanced infantry training in the military but any training is better than none. Every civilian gun owner and patriot should know the basics. Given the state of this country, you may need those skills someday.
remember the .mil doesnt start with <advanced> training but with much more basic stuff .
Much of it is often forgotten years later.

No one claimed a single 3 days class will make you a seasoned Infantry E-7.
but it doesnt have to to be useful.

And its a progression.. you start out whit Combat Rifle (which again is not some square range stuff that only gets u better at running your gun) and then the patrol class.

Given that attendees at thse classes are older ,possibly smarter and also more ficused than a lot of teenage trainees they will learn a LOT.

The basics are not that hard ( after all we teach 'em to teenagers) you just have to do them.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun: