Muscle Memory

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Muscle Memory

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Muscle Memory

Many people will ask the following:

How many times do I have to do something before it becomes like instinct?

That will vary from person to person. There are so many variables to take into account, and it is near impossible to put a given number out there. These following drills will put you on your way to better, more confident handling of your firearm.

Confidence in your abilities = winning a gunfight.

Drill 1: Slowly draw your weapon from your holster and establish a stable and aggressive two handed stance. Then slowly reholster your weapon. Do this at least 100 times.

Drill 2: Slowly draw your weapon from your holster, but this time establish a strong one-handed stance. Then slowly reholster your weapon. Do this at least 100 times.

Drill 3: Practice reloading your weapon in the standing, kneeling, prone positions. Do each position 200 times.

Drill 4: Practice the tap, rack, bang drill. Do this at least 200 times.

Drill 5: Practice a level 3 malfunction clearance drill (double-feed clearance). Do this at least 200 times.

Remember safety first!!!! ALWAYS ensure your firearm is unloaded before you begin any practice. Double check and triple check to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you.

You can add different drills based on your situation and envoirnment (i.e. clearing your home, grabbing your firearm from your bed, etc...).

There is no magic number. Keep practicing with your firearm until it is second nature. Then practice more.

Stay safe.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2009, 04:48 AM   #2

Excellent advice! I have been practicing a bit since I got my first firearm, and I think I will include some of these in my daily practice sessions.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for the heads up. Holsters and draws/presentations aren't allowed at the range where I'm a member. I guess I'd better start dry practicing at home.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams