Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Mozambique Drill? Combat Focus? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/mozambique-drill-combat-focus-3979/)

Dillinger 04-04-2008 11:25 PM

Mozambique Drill? Combat Focus?

For those not familiar:

Mozambique Drill: Also known as the 2+1; 2 to the chest, 1 to the head.

Combat Focus: Fire as many rounds as it takes to end the threat, center mass.

Do any of you practice these defensive handgun techniques in your normal range time? How do you practice to end a threat, assuming you would ever be faced with one? A question came up on another forum I frequent which got me curious as to how the rest of you guys train.

For me, I was initially trained in the 2+1, but about a year or so ago I read about Combat Focus and was privileged enough to have some personal, one on one, training with one of the main founders and proponents, Rob Pincus. I find the theory extremely sound and am now a fan of this technique as well, which is what I practice at a range near my home. I am a "charter" member, as I bought a membership before they opened, so we have a separate bay where multiple, rapid fire is allowed. :D

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Dillinger

matt g 04-05-2008 12:27 AM

I was trained to use combat focus. It works well enough with the weapons that I use to not need to run 2 to the chest and one to the head. Center mass shots will cause massive trauma that will lead to system collapse, no need for a head shot, unless it is used to confirm that a body is indeed dead when you approach to search.

hillbilly68 04-05-2008 02:48 AM

Interesting question you have posed. Think it depends (in my mind) the number of threats and the weapon you have. Multiple won't allow for a mag in the chest of each; 2 shots in available/ visible center of mass would be at the max end of time before moving to the next target. The old METT-TC standby applies...so in the end I would say it depends. Plus tunnel vision, the old adrenaline effects / sympathetic response will throw a wrench in the works for rapid transition to a third shot with a different sight picture on the same target (2 then 1) if you have more than one target. IMO, the logic of neutralize the threat ASAP is sound.
So how do you train it? What is the adequate amount of rounds on a paper target to train the combat focus? How do you train multis? Any drills that you could pass on to us? Thanks for the post.

gnoll 04-05-2008 04:51 AM

http://www.counterfiretargets.com/
get them and trace them than make your own ,now its not just stop this dude it stop who will hurt you more and who will not hurt you at all

matt g 04-05-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly68 (Post 20861)
Interesting question you have posed. Think it depends (in my mind) the number of threats and the weapon you have. Multiple won't allow for a mag in the chest of each; 2 shots in available/ visible center of mass would be at the max end of time before moving to the next target. The old METT-TC standby applies...so in the end I would say it depends. Plus tunnel vision, the old adrenaline effects / sympathetic response will throw a wrench in the works for rapid transition to a third shot with a different sight picture on the same target (2 then 1) if you have more than one target. IMO, the logic of neutralize the threat ASAP is sound.
So how do you train it? What is the adequate amount of rounds on a paper target to train the combat focus? How do you train multis? Any drills that you could pass on to us? Thanks for the post.

You've never been on a pop up range? You fire center mass until the target falls.

hillbilly68 04-06-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 20884)
You've never been on a pop up range? You fire center mass until the target falls.

Uh yeah. The sensors are usually set to drop at one round, not "shoot COM until it goes down". Kind of what we call "negative training" as it takes more than one round in a lot of live engagements. Not really the question I was asking but thanks for your input.

matt g 04-06-2008 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly68 (Post 20922)
Uh yeah. The sensors are usually set to drop at one round, not "shoot COM until it goes down". Kind of what we call "negative training" as it takes more than one round in a lot of live engagements. Not really the question I was asking but thanks for your input.

They didn't change the silhouettes out much on Bragg, so it usually took two or three shots to drop them.

Missing Something 04-06-2008 03:59 AM

I do the 2+1. The reason for the "Mozambique Drill" was for targets that have body armour and don't go down, then a head shot is needed to "stop" the target. Even nowadays there are people all "hopped up" on different chemicals a head shot may be needed to stop the threat. I am not current with the "combat focus" but in my opinion it uses up too much valuable ammunition, especially if you have multiple threats. Even with multiple "center of mass" hits this does not guarantee that a target stops doing what they are doing where a head shot does.

just my 2 cents

Chester 04-06-2008 11:41 AM

What's wrong with 1 to the head, Stops the threat, saves time to stop another, saves ammo.

matt g 04-06-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missing Something (Post 20945)
I do the 2+1. The reason for the "Mozambique Drill" was for targets that have body armour and don't go down, then a head shot is needed to "stop" the target. Even nowadays there are people all "hopped up" on different chemicals a head shot may be needed to stop the threat. I am not current with the "combat focus" but in my opinion it uses up too much valuable ammunition, especially if you have multiple threats. Even with multiple "center of mass" hits this does not guarantee that a target stops doing what they are doing where a head shot does.

just my 2 cents

If I'm engaging multiple targets, it'll probably be done at close range to defend from a home invasion. My tool of choice is a 1911, which limits my amount of available ammo, but does sling a potent round. 1 230gr. Hydrashock, center mass, will most likely kill a combatant at ranges of less than 10 yards. In this instance, if I dedicate 3 rounds to each attacker, that allows me to engage 2 attackers before a magazine change. Whereas with combat focus, I can kill or seriously disable up to 7 attackers per magazine.

Which technique 'wastes' ammo?