Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Most reputable school in the U.S.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Build a resume.

An armchair warrior is a better instructor than a sheep. If you have trained with a myriad of instructors and educated yourself in various techniques/concepts then you can potentially pass that information along to someone with less expertise.

That being said, someone with the training & real-world experience will be able to offer more perspective when it comes to combat tactics. Consider the previous arguments in this discussion and change the dynamic slightly. Who would you want training you in USPSA Action Pistol...the best shooter at your local range or Robbie Leatham? The perspective that The Great One can bring to teaching his sport makes him the obvious choice. This same reasoning gives the edge to seasoned police/military trainers when we talk about combat tactics.

Also, being able to shot doesn't equate to being able to instruct. Training and developing people is an entirely different skill set from pulling the trigger. As you attend these schools pay as much attention to the training styles & techniques as you do the actually tactics/concepts being taught. If permitted, consider getting the contact information for your other classmates and interview them later about what they did/didn't like at the school. You will not only learn what you should do, but what you shouldn't.

If you shoot as well as you say you do, then consider competing in USPSA events where you can potentially gain noteriety and exposure. The only reason this thread has talked about Rob Leatham so much is because he competed successfully for many years. Leatham, Enos, Jarrett, the Army Marksmanship Unit, etc etc, also take the things they learn in competition to their classrooms.

And remember, if you aren't Chesty Puller, Alvin York, Audie Murphy, and Lion-O of the Thundercats all rolled into one, don't try to be. Never underestimate the average persons ability to sniff out your B.S.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Bighead; 12-08-2008 at 06:30 AM.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #42

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As far as your question about the most reputable school, I would have to say Gunsite. This is not to say its the best (although I understand it is very good), but it does have the distinction of being one of the originals.

Valhalla, Thunder Ranch, Lethal Force Institute, USSA in Tulsa OK, SigArms Academy, Blackwater, Front Sight...the list goes on and on.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
An armchair warrior is a better instructor than a sheep. If you have trained with a myriad of instructors and educated yourself in various techniques/concepts then you can potentially pass that information along to someone with less expertise.

That being said, someone with the training & real-world experience will be able to offer more perspective when it comes to combat tactics. Consider the previous arguments in this discussion and change the dynamic slightly. Who would you want training you in USPSA Action Pistol...the best shooter at your local range or Robbie Leatham? The perspective that The Great One can bring to teaching his sport makes him the obvious choice. This same reasoning gives the edge to seasoned police/military trainers when we talk about combat tactics.

Also, being able to shot doesn't equate to being able to instruct. Training and developing people is an entirely different skill set from pulling the trigger. As you attend these schools pay as much attention to the training styles & techniques as you do the actually tactics/concepts being taught. If permitted, consider getting the contact information for your other classmates and interview them later about what they did/didn't like at the school. You will not only learn what you should do, but what you shouldn't.

If you shoot as well as you say you do, then consider competing in USPSA events where you can potentially gain noteriety and exposure. The only reason this thread has talked about Rob Leatham so much is because he competed successfully for many years. Leatham, Enos, Jarrett, the Army Marksmanship Unit, etc etc, also take the things they learn in competition to their classrooms.

And remember, if you aren't Chesty Puller, Alvin York, Audie Murphy, and Lion-O of the Thundercats all rolled into one, don't try to be. Never underestimate the average persons ability to sniff out your B.S.

Good Luck.
I am planning on competing again, but probably in IDPA. I think this is more along the lines of a realistic shooting competition. I always prefer to simulate real world conditions as much as possible...

So I would compete with my carry gun, with my spare mags carried in a way that I normally carry them on the street, and shoot with full factory loads, etc...

I also agree that Gunsite is the best...of course I'm probably biased on that one

Finally, I understand about the "combat experience perspective" that many have spoken of on here.
However, as has been posted, military/SWAT experience DOES NOT guarantee an extremely high level of proficiency with a firearm.

So, it cuts both ways on that one

And I'm interested in teaching firearm proficiency, NOT team SWAT or SEAL tactics.

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

Old 12-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #44

I didnt want to open a new thread...
Here is a scary video

Amazing that nobody was hurt in that horrific crossfire

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

Old 12-21-2008, 03:00 AM   #45

Liked 239 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Here's a link to a CA school that looks impressive...They also have a DVD available for about 50 bucks .

http://www.internationaltactical.com/dvd.asp

Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #46

Matt,

FWIW, I'm running a two day class in Titusville near the end of January, not too far from you, you're welcome to come by an audit the 1st morning session. Of course, it would be great to have you just take the course as well if you are interested.
You might also try to get with Dave Herrington out of Tampa. He has been teaching for a long time and is very well respected. I enjoyed a good conversation with him in regard to teaching concepts in Orlando last month at SWAT Round up.

-RJP
-vscrob@msn.com

Old 01-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #47

Liked 239 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Rob Pincus :
I own one of your videos, " Shooting In Realistic Enviornments " . I have not yet bought the others advertised on your site but may do so soon .
I was impressed with your innovative approach and techniques that will work in the real world , so I lent the video to a friend . The friend decided not to bother watching it so I advised him not to do any shooting in realistic enviornments ( LOL ) .
2 thumbs up ! ( or along the frame ) for your vid .
Doug

Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #48

Thanks Much, Doug! ( I hope you got the DVD back!)

Old 01-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #49

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

if i had the money to fund such training i would choose either vallhalla or gunsite. just my .02. what i would want from an instructor would be life experience and sad to say but i would want him to have killed a few sob's in his lifetime

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #50

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
if i had the money to fund such training i would choose either vallhalla or gunsite. just my .02. what i would want from an instructor would be life experience and sad to say but i would want him to have killed a few sob's in his lifetime
If he is a truly good instructor that has confirmed kills, you will never hear it from him!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello