Most importent gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Most importent gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Default Most importent gun

To some of you all this is going to sound odd, but I think the most important gun I have ever owned was a BB gun. I grew up in the city limits so I couldn't go shooting when ever I wanted, granted the closest place to shoot was a short drive away but time was limited. So when I couldn't get to the range I went out back and shot my BB gun worked on my form...etc. Ammo was really cheap $10 for 1000 bb's at one point I was going through 3000 bb's a week. Well I'm older and I still have the same bb gun I even went out and bought a high powered pellet rifle for small game.

I honestly believe that the bb gun is one of the most important guns an person can own, just recently I got my oldest nephew one so he could shoot, granted he's not that great yet but he's getting there. Also I hope it will teach him proper gun safety so maybe when he gets a little older we can take him out to the range with the 22 (sister says he's too little) while me and my sister don't see eye to eye if it weren't for the bb gun I wouldn't shoot like I do today.

I hope to make this sort of thing a tradition in my family, just out of curiosity what do you all thing?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7654 Times on 4600 Posts
Likes Given: 9570

Just curious, how old is your nephew?

I don't think it matters what gun you learn on, whether it be a BB gun or a regular gun. I had a BB gun pistol years ago and I was as reckless as all heck with it. I didn't KNOW it but I bought it on my own and shot it on my own. No one to instruct me or teach me what is right or wrong. I got my first real education and gun knowledge when I got interested in regular guns. So, I don't think it really matters which gun you are learning on, as long as there is someone there to instruct you. That's been my experience.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Gotta agree with W.O.C on this one. My uncle and grandfather taught me to shoot using an old Crossman BB gun that my uncle purchased when he was in his early to mid teens. I learned the fundamentals of marksmanship and saftey through mostly my uncle, who is still in the Air Force, and has numerous medals for marksmanship. Over the years my knowledge and interest in firearms/shooting grew, which has gotten me to where I am today.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #4

Yep, I would have to agree with WOC also. My over protective mother wouldn't let me have a BB gun, until I swapped a buddy out of an old one without her knowledge. I didn't put anyones eye out, as the old saying goes, but I didn't learn proper/sufficient firearms safety and training until my BIL took me under his wing. A BB gun would be a great starter, but someone needs to supervise and teach good safety habits from the start before hard to break bad habits learned, IMO.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7654 Times on 4600 Posts
Likes Given: 9570

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDCent View Post
Yep, I would have to agree with WOC also. My over protective mother wouldn't let me have a BB gun, until I swapped a buddy out of an old one without her knowledge.
I was one of those Mothers, too. My Dad gave my son a BB gun and I hid it. Now I take my son shooting "real" guns with me. My kids all think I've gone nuts with such a drastic change of opinion. I just didn't know any better.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yup, my first "gun" was a BB gun and I learned with it. I still have one. It is a good way to learn safety and have someone to instruct you in proper handling, etc.

OC

"magbum"

Old 10-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #7

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I would buy your nephew one of them high end airsoft guns and tell your sister that it's just airsoft.A good airsoft rifle will launch a bb@500fps accuratley and powerful enough to punch through a pop can.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 10-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #8

Liked 1610 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 359

When I was a kid growing up in a small town, bb guns were all the rage. At the time you bougt bbs in a paper tube, and if I remember correctly, it was 350 bbs and the tube cost a dime. We shot so much we all became excellent shots. With my Daisy pump, (single pump repeater) I could hit anything I could see within range. (Boy, that ship has sailed)

My bb days ended at about 14 years old when my best friend banked a shot off a cherry tree and popped me dead in the eye. I spent about a week in the hospital to keep from losing the eye. My mother made the bb gun go away.........

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #9

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

my sister doesn't want him to shoot actual guns yet, His dad takes him out and lets him shoot it teaches him what he needs to know. One of the main reason when I was a younger a BB guns was a great thing to have was I could practice all the time esp when my old man was working all the time. Granted BB's have serious limitations it still was good for form.

I had to work to get my BB gun, and granted at the same time the same thing that let me shoot all time also got me in trouble on a regular basis. I think they're great for kids that can't get out to the range.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 10-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #10

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I started with a bb gun when I was about 7. It was a single pump spring bb rifle, not a an air rifle. I could hardly pump the thing. I think most kids in my area had them at the time, we would shoot cans and whatever else we could set up in the back yard. Good times and I learned how to handle a firearm. I moved on to a 20 gauge at 11, but I still shot that bb gun well into my teens.