Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Mobile indoor shooting range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Mobile indoor shooting range

I have built many things over the last 6+ decades and have an outdoor range. I have attended the NRA Range Operations and Development course ( great )

If I was to build ( the plans I have now are for a 5 lane 7 yard range ) a portable range that I could move to weekend gun shows or gun stores would there be a demand for my services?

I can build it to meet all safety ( projectile containment, air quality, and noise containment) requirements but it will not be cheap and I don’t want to do it unless I can reasonably expect a return on my investment.

I just want to hear from you the shooting public.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1658 Times on 903 Posts
Likes Given: 528

I have seen one at a city event but I dont know how well it did. I believe it was sponsored by a gun company. I would imagine you might run into city ordinance problems and would have to get a permit. I could see where it might be handy at a gun show but I dont know how many paying customers it would draw. Possibly rent it out to a larger dealer as a sales tool. You might get a mfg to sponsor it at a large gun show.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #3

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I would love any info you could get me on any that are out there - - - no need for me to repeat someone elses mistakes!

I would love contact info on any already in existance.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1979

They used to do something very similar at archery shows , a company would show up with their trailer and the vendors would pay to use it during the show ,I believe they paid to use it in advance. I would limit it to one person using it at a time and be able to contain the person shooting and the dealer, This helps eliminate liability issues , basically it would be used to test fire a weapon before purchase which I know isnt really your purpose . Im just looking at it for liability and insurance issues

Old 02-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1658 Times on 903 Posts
Likes Given: 528

I googled "Mobile shooting range" and came up with a bunch of listings.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #6

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

http://www.mancomsystems.com/mobileRanges.cfm get ready to fork over some money!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
I have built many things over the last 6+ decades and have an outdoor range. I have attended the NRA Range Operations and Development course ( great )

If I was to build ( the plans I have now are for a 5 lane 7 yard range ) a portable range that I could move to weekend gun shows or gun stores would there be a demand for my services?

I can build it to meet all safety ( projectile containment, air quality, and noise containment) requirements but it will not be cheap and I don’t want to do it unless I can reasonably expect a return on my investment.

I just want to hear from you the shooting public.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
gwk,

I am researching the feasibility of a mobile range for a potential project I have in mind. Can you give me any details on what you believe it would cost to fabricate such a range inside a 53' trailer? The commercially available units, as I am sure you are aware, are in the half million dollar range, new, but I would like something a little more basic without all the fancy bells and whistles.

Thanks,

Cliff H

Old 11-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #8

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 405

I did a rifle and pistol qual in a mobile range that was built in a semi trailer. Had to have been a gov't contractor that ran it. It ran length of the trailer, but I believe it was only two or three lanes.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #9

Liked 51 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I agree it would be more of a vendor thing to demo their products in, I can't really see to many people paying over $5 a run if at all. They are a great concept though.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5779 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 10932

As said, lane rentals rarely exceed ten dollars or so. Gun ranges are generally supplemented by target and ammunition sales or equipment rentals.
Ever watch shark tank?

No offense and none taken