Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Mobile indoor shooting range (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/mobile-indoor-shooting-range-57604/)

gwk4667 02-13-2012 01:43 AM

Mobile indoor shooting range

I have built many things over the last 6+ decades and have an outdoor range. I have attended the NRA Range Operations and Development course ( great )

If I was to build ( the plans I have now are for a 5 lane 7 yard range ) a portable range that I could move to weekend gun shows or gun stores would there be a demand for my services?

I can build it to meet all safety ( projectile containment, air quality, and noise containment) requirements but it will not be cheap and I donít want to do it unless I can reasonably expect a return on my investment.

I just want to hear from you the shooting public.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

JTJ 02-13-2012 03:28 AM

I have seen one at a city event but I dont know how well it did. I believe it was sponsored by a gun company. I would imagine you might run into city ordinance problems and would have to get a permit. I could see where it might be handy at a gun show but I dont know how many paying customers it would draw. Possibly rent it out to a larger dealer as a sales tool. You might get a mfg to sponsor it at a large gun show.

gwk4667 02-13-2012 11:37 AM

I would love any info you could get me on any that are out there - - - no need for me to repeat someone elses mistakes!

I would love contact info on any already in existance.

purehavoc 02-13-2012 12:50 PM

They used to do something very similar at archery shows , a company would show up with their trailer and the vendors would pay to use it during the show ,I believe they paid to use it in advance. I would limit it to one person using it at a time and be able to contain the person shooting and the dealer, This helps eliminate liability issues , basically it would be used to test fire a weapon before purchase which I know isnt really your purpose . Im just looking at it for liability and insurance issues

JTJ 02-13-2012 02:46 PM

I googled "Mobile shooting range" and came up with a bunch of listings.

silverado113 02-13-2012 05:27 PM

http://www.mancomsystems.com/mobileRanges.cfm get ready to fork over some money!

CliffH 11-02-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwk4667 (Post 706837)
I have built many things over the last 6+ decades and have an outdoor range. I have attended the NRA Range Operations and Development course ( great )

If I was to build ( the plans I have now are for a 5 lane 7 yard range ) a portable range that I could move to weekend gun shows or gun stores would there be a demand for my services?

I can build it to meet all safety ( projectile containment, air quality, and noise containment) requirements but it will not be cheap and I donít want to do it unless I can reasonably expect a return on my investment.

I just want to hear from you the shooting public.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

gwk,

I am researching the feasibility of a mobile range for a potential project I have in mind. Can you give me any details on what you believe it would cost to fabricate such a range inside a 53' trailer? The commercially available units, as I am sure you are aware, are in the half million dollar range, new, but I would like something a little more basic without all the fancy bells and whistles.

Thanks,

Cliff H

SSGN_Doc 11-02-2013 10:45 PM

I did a rifle and pistol qual in a mobile range that was built in a semi trailer. Had to have been a gov't contractor that ran it. It ran length of the trailer, but I believe it was only two or three lanes.

deathkricket 11-02-2013 11:02 PM

I agree it would be more of a vendor thing to demo their products in, I can't really see to many people paying over $5 a run if at all. They are a great concept though.

MisterMcCool 11-02-2013 11:09 PM

As said, lane rentals rarely exceed ten dollars or so. Gun ranges are generally supplemented by target and ammunition sales or equipment rentals.
Ever watch shark tank?