Mo. Man at CPL class shoots self/dies - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Mo. Man at CPL class shoots self/dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntpain1775 View Post
I don't care if everyone there was a Super Special Delta Ranger Force Operator
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Damn, been a while since I heard that one...
Me too. Mo. Man at CPL class shoots self/dies - Training & Safety

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #22

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Actually, I have always wanted to be an Elite Tactical Super Special Delta Ranger Force Operator, but I could never find a qualified instructor...

(This is a long running joke between Grunt & I. We used to have folks come on the GA forum we frequented claiming to be "these" folks.)

Old 03-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #23

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quoted from original article: "Degase said in interviewing witnesses, he determined Seymour, who was familiar with a revolver, told others that his revolver was having trouble, so he switched to a Browning semiautomatic 9 mm weapon."

Was the Browning the victim's or did he borrow it to finish the class?

Regardless, it appears that he was totally unfamiliar with the weapon. It's possible that he didn't want to hold the class up and figured he could wing it on his own. It would also be interesting to find out if the class had some prior practice for the maneuver with unloaded weapons before loading their weapons and performing as instructed.

Bottom line I agree that it was the instructors responsibility for the safety of the entire class and he failed that responsibility.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Actually, I have always wanted to be an Elite Tactical Super Special Delta Ranger Force Operator, but I could never find a qualified instructor...

(This is a long running joke between Grunt & I. We used to have folks come on the GA forum we frequented claiming to be "these" folks.)
Indeed. I really enjoy calling folks out on their BS service record. It's kinda a hobby.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #25

Liked 927 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1037

they say hindsight is 20/20.....
Quote:
"I think prior to having them shoot left-handed, they probably should have spent more time on left hand manipulation prior to going live fire," said Degase.
(i still dont really understand how you shoot yourself in the chest..??!!)

Old 03-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #26

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntpain1775 View Post
Indeed. I really enjoy calling folks out on their BS service record. It's kinda a hobby.
Excellent. I see we both have something else in common.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Excellent. I see we both have something else in common.

So I hear. I look at it like this, if all you did in the service was clean latrines...be proud of that. It's more than what others have done. If you want to be part of a group like SF, Rangers, SEALs, Snipers, etc...then you should have gone and done it. The only one that can stop you is the one looking at you in the mirror.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I understand that the instructor is responsible for the training of the class, BUT, I believe that all persons are responsible for their own actions. The student was said to be "familiar" with revolvers, well I don't know about you, but I think if he had even some experience with ANY firearm, he would know better than to point the damn thing at his own chest with his booger hook on the bang switch!! And in the process of turning it to point at his chest, how many other folks did the gun point at....with the finger on the trigger?

Granted the instructor should not have been teaching an advanced move with loaded weapons, but at the same time, the student should have put his gun down and asked for some help with his issues.

Not trying to sound too harsh here, but I think he won the Darwin Award!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #29

Default No Ammo in the class room

The instructor should have cleared all ammo out of the class before the class. I teach. I do not allow any live ammo in the class room. I also clear all firearms Before The class starts. This is how I was trained by the NRA. I only use Snap cap rounds In the class room!
Roy

Old 04-08-2011, 03:41 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm sure all this debate over instruction technique doesn't really matter to Mr. Seymour.

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp