Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Mo. Man at CPL class shoots self/dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Mo. Man at CPL class shoots self/dies

At a class, being unfamiliar with a loaded weapon is not the time to try different techniques.

Man shoots and kills himself in conceal and carry gun class | Springfield News-Leader | News-Leader.com

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Well its safe to say he wont make that mistake again. May God rest his soul....

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1744 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default Retards

Sad that this expert instructer didn't know didly about fire arms.........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 03-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Man. I hate to see these stories.

Doing 90% of things "right" when handling a weapon is not enough.

And with a Browning Hi Power? Really?!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #5

too bad...needed better supervision

Old 03-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #6

There are several things that are wrong with this whole situation. The first the type of training the Instructor was giving.

I'm an Instructor for the NRA, A State Instructor for the CCW class here and I did a metric ton of Instructing in the military. So that's my background on the Instructing realm.

The Instructor should have not been teaching something a little more advanced like this is. A CCW class is there to teach you the laws regarding the carry of a weapon, the safe manipulation of a weapon, the basics of guns and gun handling and the basics of shooting.

Once a person has been instructed in the basics of firearm use and is proficient at it, then you can advance to more complicated things like drawing and shooting with a non-dominant hand. The Instructor should not have been doing this. There should have been more close supervision as well.

An preventable thing that could have been avoided had the Instructor not tried to be a super tacticool firearms Instructor. You teach to the level of the class. Not teach to the level of yourself.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:05 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I only know one way to learn how to do something, and that is to do it. Then do it a bunch of times. And finally do it some more.

And I have no problem with an instructor teaching students techniques for weak hand shooting and manipulation.

In this case, I wonder if the Hi Power had the small safety, instead of the extended safety? Those little safeties are not easy to disengage, even with the right thumb. At 63, the student might not have had the dexterity to manipulate his HP with his weak hand, and he was probably going faster than he should have.

Maybe the instructor should have kept a closer eye on this student, knowing he was using a pistol that he was not as familiar with, but anything we say here is just Monday morning quarterbacking.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #8

I have no problem teaching people techniques either. But there is a time and place for it, especially something like weak hand draw. A CCW class is not one of them. In a class like that, you have the full gambit of people. You have people who have never touched a gun before, and then you have people who can do things with a gun that Hollywood can't dream up.

This is when you have to look at the purpose and intent of a class like the CCW. The purpose is to provide training (granted, it's forced by the state and I don't agree with it) to people so they can get a CCW. Nothing more, nothing less. The intent is to provide them with education and training on the SAFE handling of a pistol and BASIC firearms training required to get your CCW license.

Now, if you want to go about giving people a more advance class where weak side shooting is involved, fine. At least then you can guage/turn away people who may not be ready for that or bring them in and work with them closely. A class where you don't know individual experience like a CCW...bad idea. Even at more advance courses you don't start doing something like that until the 2nd day and beyond, unless you have a class of people you know are advanced.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntpain1775 View Post
I have no problem teaching people techniques either. But there is a time and place for it, especially something like weak hand draw. A CCW class is not one of them. In a class like that, you have the full gambit of people. You have people who have never touched a gun before, and then you have people who can do things with a gun that Hollywood can't dream up.

This is when you have to look at the purpose and intent of a class like the CCW. The purpose is to provide training (granted, it's forced by the state and I don't agree with it) to people so they can get a CCW. Nothing more, nothing less. The intent is to provide them with education and training on the SAFE handling of a pistol and BASIC firearms training required to get your CCW license.

Now, if you want to go about giving people a more advance class where weak side shooting is involved, fine. At least then you can guage/turn away people who may not be ready for that or bring them in and work with them closely. A class where you don't know individual experience like a CCW...bad idea. Even at more advance courses you don't start doing something like that until the 2nd day and beyond, unless you have a class of people you know are advanced.
We do not know the extent of this CCW class, or the experience level of the shooters attending. You are assuming that the students were inexperienced, and are making judgments based on that assumption. I think it is irresponsible to criticize the methodology of the class without knowing the details.

At the end of the day, you may be right. But, based upon the information in that news story, there is not enough information to make accusations about the quality and level of instruction.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-17-2011, 05:30 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

similar thing happened in a class I was taking on tactical shooting, one guy I rather heavy guy i might add was switching to his side arm and put a round straight through his foot. He had just bought his gun that morning, the main thing is accidents happen. It's very sad but it was an accident, probably could have been avoided but it happens.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."