Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Misfire procedure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default As offered above by C3shooter

However, I would add one caveat:

The absolutely worst place for the round to go off is in the chamber with the weapon open. The bullet will leave the barrel via the muzzle and the case will leave the chamber to the rear (obviously) at some velocity greater than can be comfortably handled.

Second worst place is halfway out of the chamber. Pretty much the same thing and the case may erupt.

In any event, when one ejects the questionable round, do so with dispatch. Get rid of that round fast.

If on a range, I typically re-cock the weapon and hit that 'dud' round again - but some weapons don't allow that. Many times that will fire it.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #12

Default Tap, Rack, Click

You should never practice Tap, Rack, Click or Bang. What happens is you build muscle memory when you do this. It is like the martial artist that practices every day until his reactions become automatic without thinking. That’s called muscle memory. There was a story of a police officer that practiced this technique of Tap, Rack, Click. Then one day while in a gun fight he had a malfunction. As he was taught he Tapped, Racked, Clicked, but when he came back up to click an innocent civilian had popped up between him and the gunman. This brain was shouting “DON’T SHOOT…DON’T SHOOT”, but his muscle memory took over and he clicked. Needless to say, a bad situation for all.
I practice Tap, Rack, Flip with any type 1 or type 2 malfunction; slap the bottom of the magazine hard, grab the back of the slide and rotate your gun 90 degrees with the ejection port pointing towards the ground. Rack the slide, and then flip back to target. Do not click until you have a clear sight picture with your front sight on your target. All this is done while maintaining your weapon on the target. This I use for semi-auto hand guns.

Tap, Rack, Flip...Hope that helps you all out!

Old 11-13-2010, 01:55 AM   #13

On the range a "dud bucket" might be an option for disposing of the misfire round. In the field, should the misfire round be disassembled by a bullet puller or other means? What are the options? I don't think throwing it in the bushes is the right action.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:17 AM   #14

Interesting read. Thanks for asking the question, I had been wondering the same thing.