Misfire procedure?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Misfire procedure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Misfire procedure?

I did a forum search for this subject, and couldn't find a complete procedure for dealing with a misfire (firing pin hits the primer with no result). Specifically, how long to wait before ejecting, how to eject (body away from the breech for instance and by hand or mechanically), and what to do with the possibly dangerous round both in the field and on the target range. I hope this will be a good discussion for everyone. Also, comments would be appreciated concerning any possible residual danger in an ejected misfire round.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was always told to just eject it like normal. That there was no danger. Firing a bullet is a mechanical process, the primer HAS to ignite in order to ignite the powder in the cartridge. If the primer doesn't go off when it is first struck then the bullet won't go off 2 minutes later by itself. However I am no expert and I have never had any failures with my px4. Just what i was told.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Great question Doug. Is this in a long arm, a pistol, or in general?

Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I was always told to keep the muzzle pointed at the backstop for 10 to 15 seconds, then eject the round. Long or hand gun.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6788 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4sti View Post
If the primer doesn't go off when it is first struck then the bullet won't go off 2 minutes later by itself.
yes it most definately can. in 30+ years of shooting i have had it happen 3 times. once out of a gun a shell that goes off just laying the ground wont kill you cept for maybe a 50bmg or bigger. its called a hangfire. usually happens in older ammo that has been sitting for years untouched. humidity typically causes it. the primer will do a slow burn and may or may not set off the round.

the safe thing to do is to set the gun down safety off (since some safeties on certain guns can be damaged if it goes off with the safety on) wait 2 minutes then refire or dispose of the round.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10741 Times on 4648 Posts
Likes Given: 1753

In combat? Getting shot at? Slap, rack, and roll, and continue to march (immediate action drill) Punching paper at the range? Keep the muzzle downrange, wait at least 15 seconds, (30 is better) eject, dispose of round. I did run into a memorable bad batch of Pakistani .303 Enfield- first five rounds were a hangfire (poorly stored ammo) As much as 1-2 second delay between FP strike and BOOM. That box was disposed of.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #7

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Looks like c3shooter has this one covered...

Jim........

Old 10-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #8

My question was prompted by a misfire in the field with a single shot bolt action .308 target rifle using match grade factory ammo. It was a surprise and a bit unnerving. After ejecting the round I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Old 10-16-2010, 02:18 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm surprised no one else has said this, remove the clip/mag if it has one.

I know there can be different ways to handle different types of misfire's but for simplicities sake I do the same thing on every type.

At the range.
1. Remove Clip/Magazine
2. Determine type of misfire (DO NOT LOOK AT THE BREACH)
3. Keep your face on the opposite side of the firearms as the ejection port if it has one. If bolt action then just wait.
4. Wait about 30 seconds to a minute.
5. Eject round.
Note: if it is a hung shell (can't remember the proper term) then remove the clip and pull back breach and remove the shell... in a combat situation just hit the shell with your hand.

In a combat situation you can either recock and and keep firing.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #10

c3shooter- hit it!

Hold 15-30 second, then drop mag and rack slide. Where to dispose of the bad round is dependent on your particular range rules/master etc.

Fire fight - totally different. tap, rack, bang. I do this normally to try and remain consistant.

Oh, Cory2 it's a hang fire.

[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL