Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Mentally ill man tried to break into my home this morning, police saved his life.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Default Mentally ill man tried to break into my home this morning, police saved his life.

A guy tried to break in my front door uninvited and I almost had to shoot him (Gun drawn yelling commands to GTFO now!) while on the phone with the police they looked for 45 minutes and then the guy pops up in the back yard, second time he almost got shot but the BPD were able to get him that time. Police were quick and professional and honestly saved a guys life, I have three children and a elderly relative here, no one is going to invade this space without serious repercussions.

My head is splitting in half though from the blood pressure spike I guess. Honestly I'm glad he's ok as well, that would be the worst day to have to do that to someone but no one is coming across our door seal uninvited, that's my proverbial line in the sand. He was large 300+ pounds about 45ish, Hispanic with long greasy hair, the impression from police was that this wasn't a new thing, it's sad.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1665 Times on 907 Posts
Likes Given: 532

On the pro side; I am glad the police were able to get there in time. On the con side; he will probably get released and do it again.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

People Like This 
Old 02-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 688 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 211

The police took him away. They did not save him. You did.
Practice gives you confidence in your ability and equipment.
Though not always the case, you were able to give the situation in your control time to end bloodless.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

People Like This 
Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
He was large 300+ pounds about 45ish,...
Sounds like an easy target to hit; i'm glad you didn't have to.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #5

Liked 350 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
and then the guy pops up in the back yard, second time he almost got shot but the BPD were able to get him that time
A frighting experience its good that everything turned out OK. PS Shooting him in the back garden might not have being a good idea.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Glad everything turned out alright and you didn't have to shoot him. You did good!

Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt, SR40, SR9c, 22/45, 10-22, 77MKII, PT 1911

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
The police took him away. They did not save him. You did.
Practice gives you confidence in your ability and equipment.
Though not always the case, you were able to give the situation in your control time to end bloodless.
Yes Sir, even as I was waking up, normally being the hardest person to wake up being groggy for at least 30 minutes, it's nice thinking back and realizing after hitting HIGH EFFING RED ALERT on the Cooper scale, that there was no fogginess, no possibility (in this instance) I would have made a mistake, I had complete and total cold calm control over my cognitive mind and body, a stone cold focus and I had drawn my line in the sand and it was a very definitive line about what was about to happen if this threat did not heed my warning. In other words I was pleased with myself that was I was able to handle the situation exactly as I had been taught, no fumbling, no bumbling foolishness and no confusion.

But man after the adrenalin and blood pressure went down, did I have a horrible splitting headache.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Last edited by Wiebelhaus; 02-23-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpabear View Post
Glad everything turned out alright and you didn't have to shoot him. You did good!
My oldest daughter whose 14 did everything I had told her before she took the two small children into the back bedroom and shut the door and started to move the bed in front of it, my wife was at work and the poor kid was scared because of all the commotion but she did very well, I'm proud of her.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
On the pro side; I am glad the police were able to get there in time. On the con side; he will probably get released and do it again.
That's part of the bigger issue with mental illness, the way we treat our mentally ill, leave them to the family or police to deal with but I'm not sure what the solution is to be honest, I don't think yet another federal program would do any good, it's horribly sad though.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #10

Liked 2369 Times on 1479 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Glad it worked out okay.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Closed Thread