Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Mentally ill man tried to break into my home this morning, police saved his life. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/mentally-ill-man-tried-break-into-my-home-morning-police-saved-his-life-84969/)

Wiebelhaus 02-23-2013 07:16 PM

Mentally ill man tried to break into my home this morning, police saved his life.

A guy tried to break in my front door uninvited and I almost had to shoot him (Gun drawn yelling commands to GTFO now!) while on the phone with the police they looked for 45 minutes and then the guy pops up in the back yard, second time he almost got shot but the BPD were able to get him that time. Police were quick and professional and honestly saved a guys life, I have three children and a elderly relative here, no one is going to invade this space without serious repercussions.

My head is splitting in half though from the blood pressure spike I guess. Honestly I'm glad he's ok as well, that would be the worst day to have to do that to someone but no one is coming across our door seal uninvited, that's my proverbial line in the sand. He was large 300+ pounds about 45ish, Hispanic with long greasy hair, the impression from police was that this wasn't a new thing, it's sad.

JTJ 02-23-2013 07:24 PM

On the pro side; I am glad the police were able to get there in time. On the con side; he will probably get released and do it again.

25-5 02-23-2013 11:06 PM

The police took him away. They did not save him. You did.
Practice gives you confidence in your ability and equipment.
Though not always the case, you were able to give the situation in your control time to end bloodless.

orangello 02-23-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus (Post 1150512)
He was large 300+ pounds about 45ish,...

Sounds like an easy target to hit; i'm glad you didn't have to.

manta 02-23-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

and then the guy pops up in the back yard, second time he almost got shot but the BPD were able to get him that time
A frighting experience its good that everything turned out OK. PS Shooting him in the back garden might not have being a good idea.

grandpabear 02-23-2013 11:17 PM

Glad everything turned out alright and you didn't have to shoot him. You did good!

Wiebelhaus 02-23-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25-5 (Post 1150798)
The police took him away. They did not save him. You did.
Practice gives you confidence in your ability and equipment.
Though not always the case, you were able to give the situation in your control time to end bloodless.

Yes Sir, even as I was waking up, normally being the hardest person to wake up being groggy for at least 30 minutes, it's nice thinking back and realizing after hitting HIGH EFFING RED ALERT on the Cooper scale, that there was no fogginess, no possibility (in this instance) I would have made a mistake, I had complete and total cold calm control over my cognitive mind and body, a stone cold focus and I had drawn my line in the sand and it was a very definitive line about what was about to happen if this threat did not heed my warning. In other words I was pleased with myself that was I was able to handle the situation exactly as I had been taught, no fumbling, no bumbling foolishness and no confusion.

But man after the adrenalin and blood pressure went down, did I have a horrible splitting headache.

Wiebelhaus 02-23-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandpabear (Post 1150814)
Glad everything turned out alright and you didn't have to shoot him. You did good!

My oldest daughter whose 14 did everything I had told her before she took the two small children into the back bedroom and shut the door and started to move the bed in front of it, my wife was at work and the poor kid was scared because of all the commotion but she did very well, I'm proud of her.

Wiebelhaus 02-23-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1150518)
On the pro side; I am glad the police were able to get there in time. On the con side; he will probably get released and do it again.

That's part of the bigger issue with mental illness, the way we treat our mentally ill, leave them to the family or police to deal with but I'm not sure what the solution is to be honest, I don't think yet another federal program would do any good, it's horribly sad though.

kytowboater 02-23-2013 11:54 PM

Glad it worked out okay.