Mandatory Training? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Mandatory Training?

View Poll Results: Do you support mandatory training for carry licensure?
Yes 31 35.63%
No 56 64.37%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Voted NO, with a caveat; people have to demonstrate they have the knowledge and skills necessary to handle a firearm. We are far from the era when everyone had guns in the house for protection and everyone old enough to clean, load and fire a weapon knew about guns and how to use them.

Today you have the gun ignorant buying weapons then endeavoring to learn how they work, how to dis-assemble and re-assemble for cleaning, what ammunition to shoot, etc.

There has to be an personal decision to learn to operate a firearm safely in todays world.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #42

Liked 2979 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 2811

So if a fellow citizen wants to own a gun they have to prove something ...........to who? You? The government? So we are back to you or the government are the only ones smart enough to decide who gets what. If the government gets to make those decisions they will start charging for it......tax/infringement. Now only those who can afford it will have the right to self defense. This is the thinking that has led us down the path to out of control gun control. We are only doing it for your safety! BS.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #43

Whoa guys whoa!!! So you're not opposed to training, just opposed to having the gubmint say you HAVE to have training?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #44
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6465 Times on 3435 Posts
Likes Given: 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
Whoa guys whoa!!! So you're not opposed to training, just opposed to having the gubmint say you HAVE to have training?
You got it!!

When they goverment imposes regulations on rights thats is called government intrusion or nannystatism.

The more regulation you have on rights the worse off wevare as a whole. Thats why i am so opposed to liberals. You can see proof in the economy. The fundamental right of free trade, exchanging goods and services, is so heavily regulated atm its having a huge effect on people's lives and the economy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 07-11-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #45

Ok, well then I can understand that. That makes sense.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #46

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
So let me get this straight: training with firearms is pretty much agreed upon as something everyone who handles a firearm SHOULD have but forcing someone to get what is agreed upon as vital is not ok? You have to show you can drive to get a driver's license right? Yet it's not logical to show you know how to use a gun before getting a license to use/carry it? A gun is made for killing. Plain and simple. You want non-lethal, get an Airsoft gun. But to use something that was made to take a life, mandatory training is frowned upon, but taking a driving test to get a driver's license is ok? Either I'm missing the point or there's some really funny double-talk going on...
+1... I think you had it right in the above quote, Thad. Let's face it. There are a lot of clueless dummies out there who benefit greatly from a required 8-hour CCW class. What's the problem with that? I guess the Devil is in the details. Are we talking about an 8-hour class (like the ones which many states now mandate have)? You gotta realize there're a lot of total newbies out there who have no background whatsoever in firearms... didn't grow up with hunting/guns in their household. I strongly WANT them to at least have an 8-hr. exposure to the responsibilities involved in packing a handgun. Isn't that what we're talking about? I don't want someone who's NEVER driven a car and doesn't have a clue about traffic signs to just start driving. It's dangerous! Same with handguns... What's the big deal? I didn't mind my 8-hr. class one bit because I recognize that at least THAT much of a guarantee of familiarization with the basics is desireable to all concerned. I really don't get what most of you are resistant to?... Common sense?

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 07-11-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #47
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
+1... I think you had it right in the above quote, Thad. Let's face it. There are a lot of clueless dummies out there who benefit greatly from a required 8-hour CCW class. What's the problem with that? I guess the Devil is in the details. Are we talking about an 8-hour class (like the ones which many states now mandate have)? You gotta realize there're a lot of total newbies out there who have no background whatsoever in firearms... didn't grow up with hunting/guns in their household. I strongly WANT them to at least have an 8-hr. exposure to the responsibilities involved in packing a handgun. Isn't that what we're talking about? I don't want someone who's NEVER driven a car and doesn't have a clue about traffic signs to just start driving. It's dangerous! Same with handguns... What's the big deal? I didn't mind my 8-hr. class one bit because I recognize that at least THAT much of a guarantee of familiarization with the basics is desireable to all concerned. I really don't get what most of you are resistant to?... Common sense?
Not to common sense but to the restriction of liberty. Hitler killed more people by political speech than any human in recorded history but we dont force politicians news reporters and authors to take mandatory speech safety courses.

Im opposed to the government doing things "for my own good". That sort of thinking absolves the individuals in our society of personal responsibility. The reliance on the government is why our nation is collapsing under its own dead weight.

I think its a good idea and even advocate people to take safety courses in gun ownership. I do not advocate the government force people to do it. The government should not be in the job of doing that.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #48

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So you'd be OK with no driver's test at all?... No age requirement?... Anybody can just start driving when they feel like it?

How about anybody who feels like being a "doctor" can just start doing surgery... ? Are there any licensures that are appropriate to you?

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 07-11-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #49
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
So you'd be OK with no driver's test at all?... No age requirement?... Anybody can just start driving when they feel like it?

How about anybody who feels like being a "doctor" can just start doing surgery... ? Are there any licensures that are appropriate to you?
Those arent rights. Driving doctoring bricklaying plumbing are not rights gauranteed by the constitution. I suppose your ok with the police tactical squad using your house without your consistent as office space??

cars just make travel convienent but it is not a right to drive. Same with doctors, there is no right to be a doctor.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #50

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

You need to google "strawman argument".