Mandatory Training? - Page 23
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Mandatory Training?

View Poll Results: Do you support mandatory training for carry licensure?
Yes 31 35.63%
No 56 64.37%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #221
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
I think mandatory classes before anyone can type on any board; forum, Blog, or web site would be a good thing. Along with mandatory classes for free speech.

What do you all think? If we make some mandatory class for one then should we not make it for all rights?
Here, here! "Grammar be damned; full Rant ahead" situations are an afront to my delicate sensibilities.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
I think the word you're looking for is "infringe". And the phraseology would be "infringe upon".

Court said: "Laws are made for the government of actions, and while they cannot interfere with mere religious beliefs and opinions, they may with practices."[/COLOR]

So...what was your point?

Mandating training as an economic barrier to people getting armed sucks
Let me start by expressing my apologies for my lack of gramar.... then let me say that I was speaking of the constitution in general... be it Amendment 1 or 2 is not a point i was making. Now if the Court can make a law to prohibit an action, that action being an intrinsic part of an amendment of the constitution, ( to ensure the safety and rights of others from ) Then might they not do the same to ensure there is as little danger as possible to the general public by mandatory training without having "infringed upon" our rights? I also think the number of people who do not get a permit because of financial inability is minimal....

I do see your point ... At the end of the day my goal is to come home alive.... I think required training would help me in that goal.

Last edited by M1AG30; 08-23-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #223

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Maybe in Ohio, but what about States where the local Sheriff doesn't issue; like California.

Want to guess how many carry concealed without a permit?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #224

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can't say as I am comfortable with mandatory training either. Like I said before, it always seems to get out of hand. Perfect example mentioned before was the Hunter Safety Course. Used to be about safety, now a whole bunch of other stuff is thrown in. BUT! That does not mean training is useles. Some won't get it, many people will. I think it is a tuff decision and sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.
References to the 1st Amendment really are not a good argument for the 2nd Amendment and no limitations or infringement. There are limitations on free speech, so when you reference it as support, you are saying that would be ok for the 2nd.
The Supreme Court recently delivered an opinion (2 in fact) on the 2nd Amendment. What was the score? So it didn't go our way by much, unfortunately. It may come up again and not go our way. Which by the way means it is a living document that is reviewed. Some really good points made here. I think this one has played out. Nuff said.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #225

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

We should do something to get these noobs in hand, because

we really don't need them making us look bad, too.

How about a VOLUNTARY discount of 5% on a new gun

purchase, for first time buyers, with proof of

safety training?

Now we've combined the "freedom ethic" with a refuseable

solution.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1AG30 View Post
...I also think the number of people who do not get a permit because of financial inability is minimal....
Wanna bet?? The majority of the people I ask about why they don't have one is because they can't afford it.

Here in Texas, you can spend between $50 - $250 for the course. Combine that with having to spend $15 at Walgreens for passport photos, then $15 for fingerprints because now you HAVE to use FAST electronic fingerprint services.

Then, you get to send the state $140. I hear the advocates say "$140 for a five year license isn't that much, at all!" Well, if I have to choose between paying $300 for my light bill or $300 for a license I *SHOULDN'T* have to get in the first place, which do you think I'm going to choose???

If the PEOPLE would start adopting the concept they have the RIGHT, we can get it back! It's time folks started changing their mindset.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Wanna bet?? The majority of the people I ask about why they don't have one is because they can't afford it.

Here in Texas, you can spend between $50 - $250 for the course. Combine that with having to spend $15 at Walgreens for passport photos, then $15 for fingerprints because now you HAVE to use FAST electronic fingerprint services.

Then, you get to send the state $140. I hear the advocates say "$140 for a five year license isn't that much, at all!" Well, if I have to choose between paying $300 for my light bill or $300 for a license I *SHOULDN'T* have to get in the first place, which do you think I'm going to choose???

If the PEOPLE would start adopting the concept they have the RIGHT, we can get it back! It's time folks started changing their mindset.
I understand your point ...i was speaking of the cost of training ....not the licensing etc... which is another disscussion. By the way is the license required to own or just to carry?

Old 08-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #228

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post

You can go to the library or use google, and train yourself. I get

pamphlets about gun safety all the time.

When I pick up a gun, I unload it, first thing, because it's

a muscle-memory response. The habit of unloading the gun

is so deeply ingrained.

I agree, gun safety is a state of mind.