Mandatory Training? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Mandatory Training?

View Poll Results: Do you support mandatory training for carry licensure?
Yes 31 35.63%
No 56 64.37%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
the good news is there is a grass-roots organization to help restore america's hertiage: project appleseed home....parents who don't attend with their children are just bad parents.
Dammit!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

If one recognizes the fact that they need to have a firearm, hopefully they will know if they should get the training or not, and how much they need.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #13

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Some of you underestimate the stupidity of people. They will get more than just themselves killed given the opportunity.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #14

Liked 2502 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 2409

So you and the government get to decide who is to stupid to be allowed to defend themselves.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5657 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPat View Post
I did a search on this, and couldn't find any discussion... if it's been discussed or is verboten, just kill the thread.

Having said that...

I just read a reply in another thread (where doesn't matter), the basic premise: States that had mandatory training as part of the licensing procedure were better/safer. For me, South Carolina comes to mind. It's the major sticking point for reciprocity between SC and GA.

Do you support mandatory training? Why? If not, why not?

My issue with mandatory training is that it's just another measure of control, subject to the abuses inherent in anything "mandated". Owning a gun - carrying a gun, is a right, not a privilge. I personally detest licensure, but that's another argument...

What say you?
i voted no.

not so much because of govt intrusion but because it does no detectable good. studies have been conducted on states that require training vs states that dont and there is no difference in per capita ND or bad shoots. the truth is people so inclined to ccw seek training on their own or are already trained or train on their own. basic weapon safety/handling courses are better than ccw state mandated/state controlled curriculum courses in my opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2551 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Government mandated training other than for the personal carry license is a big NO! No I believe it would just become another political money maker for a party like we presently have in office. Tennessee does have a required course that you must pass in order to receive a personal protection permit. But this is normally done by a certified instructor who normally owns a weapon business here in Tennessee. At least this instructs the person with the correct safety. loading, operation and general cleaning of the weapon. They then issue a Tennessee Conceal Carry License that looks like a Tennessee Drivers License. For those who might care!

Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

i need to move to tennesee/ hehehe

Old 07-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #18

Liked 4784 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Default NO!

It is the responsibility of the gun owner to secure training and their risk of liablity should they fail to do so.

Make it the Governments responsibility and suddenly all ND's will be the Governments fault for failing to provide "proper" training.

"We're from the Government, and we're here to help".
The most frightening statement ever uttered!

Tack

Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Some of you underestimate the stupidity of people. They will get more than just themselves killed given the opportunity.
On the contrary, it's always been a given.

You can't mandate training, because you have to then have selection criteria that you, I, Cane, Robo, or God help us, Shihan, mind not find relevant to HOW they carry, WHAT they carry, WHERE they carry and the all important WHY THEY CARRY.

I can't support a mandatory on training because I have been personally instructed in both good, and less than good, practices with all sorts of weapons.

I feel that being able to carry, and doing so are COMPLETELY different issues. As we have discussed ad nauseum around here.

Some fit the mental, physical and psychological aspects of being able to carry, and some WANT to carry.

HUGE difference.

JD

Old 07-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Dammit!!
I should have qualified that with "today's parents who don't know..."

Sorry, Jack. That's not why I think you're a bad parent

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.