Mandatory Training? - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Mandatory Training?

View Poll Results: Do you support mandatory training for carry licensure?
Yes 31 35.63%
No 56 64.37%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando,Florida
Posts: 71
Default

Florida requires training for a CCWP. That said it is usually a 4 hour class that only goes over the regulations of carring like where and when. Most people come out of the class very confused. It is required that you show proficiency with a pistol. For this the instructor usually meets you at a range (if not already at one). He will have you pick up the pisol point it at a target, fire once and lay the pisol down. That is all that is required. WOW, what I joke! No firearms training is going on at all. The class hits on government regulations.

The word "Training" is wide open.

Yumus, I know of a guy from Georgia that came to Florida to get a CCWP and he did. Oh, did i say that he is blind!

I feel that it is the responsibility of the individual for all their actions. We need certain licenses to protect the rest of us from others. Doctors and Attornies are good examples.

Show proficiency and you get the license! If you can't pass, get the training you need!


Mark

MLR Distributing

__________________

Last edited by MLRDist; 07-13-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Adding content
MLRDist is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,900
Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default

There are some real cards amoung gun owners and I do understand what you are getting at Yunus and some time feel some form of weeding out would help but if I supported that concept then I am supporting restrictions on a right. This I can not do outside of due process of law

__________________
opaww is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hydrashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta,TEXAS!
Posts: 705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLRDist View Post
I feel that it is the responsibility of the individual for all their actions. We need certain licenses to protect the rest of us from others. Doctors and Attornies are good examples.
I agree with you that it is the responsibility of the individual for all their actions.

I disagree that we need licenses to protect us from ourselves... or others.

Society, when given the chance, does a great job at policing itself. We don't NEED rules and regulations on firearms. We need swift and harsh punishments for wrongs done to others. If an idiot wants to buy a machine gun, LET HIM. When he f*cks up with said machine gun, crucify him. It's not the machine gun manufacture's fault, it's not his momma and daddy's fault, it's HIS fault.

Let's get rid of the ridiculous legislation and bring back ACCOUNTABILITY back to our free society. Give us back our freedom, and you'd be surprised with what we do with it!
__________________

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com
hydrashok is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #114
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FatPat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Forsyth,Georgia
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I agree with you that it is the responsibility of the individual for all their actions.

I disagree that we need licenses to protect us from ourselves... or others.

Society, when given the chance, does a great job at policing itself. We don't NEED rules and regulations on firearms. We need swift and harsh punishments for wrongs done to others. If an idiot wants to buy a machine gun, LET HIM. When he f*cks up with said machine gun, crucify him. It's not the machine gun manufacture's fault, it's not his momma and daddy's fault, it's HIS fault.

Let's get rid of the ridiculous legislation and bring back ACCOUNTABILITY back to our free society. Give us back our freedom, and you'd be surprised with what we do with it!
Quoted for absolute truth.
__________________
FatPat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #115
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BrassMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW Illinois
Posts: 325
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Possibly.

Depends on cost and how it's run.

Over the years I have taken a few people out shooting who have never so much as held a gun. The idea of somebody just going out and buying a pistol to tote around with no experience is a tad unnerving. Face it newbies do so scary things when left to their own devices. I think some minimum time covering things like safe handling, marksmanship and legalities is not a bad idea. Programs like this would be easy and cheap to set up and run.

My local PD offers basic firearms instruction courses twice a year. It is a six hour course and the departments firearms instructor teaches it at the near by state police range. The cost is $25 and the funds go into the departments training budget.

Rather than mandating training I'd support a qualification exam. A written test on legalities of carry in your area, safe handling and then a qualification shoot. This would leave it up to the individual to ensure they meet the qualifications. Reality is that guns are indeed dangerous. If they were not they would be useless after all. Guns in inexperienced hands are even more dangerous. No agency that allows it's agents and officers to carry weapons does so without minimum requirements. Besides if you don't know how to use it then what good is carrying it?

__________________
BrassMonkey is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #116
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FatPat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Forsyth,Georgia
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
Rather than mandating training I'd support a qualification exam. A written test on legalities of carry in your area, safe handling and then a qualification shoot. This would leave it up to the individual to ensure they meet the qualifications.
And by doing so, you basically turn what was intended as an inalienable right into a driving exam.
At some point, you just have to accept that there is no way to make the world safe. States have training programs for all sorts of things. Driving a car is a prime example.
Our children are bombarded with horriffic videos and pictures of traffic accidents. We try to frighten them so they don't drink and drive. We enact laws if they get a ticket they can't get thier license until they're older. We enact more laws so they don't text and drive. And yet, despite all of this, teenagers still get behind the wheel, do stupid things, and die.
No mandatory training, no written test, is going to magically turn an irresponsible person into a responsible one.
Police officers, with all their agency mandated training, and periodic requalifications still do stupid things and have negligent discharges.
You cannot regulate life, which is inherently unsafe, into safety.
__________________
FatPat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #117
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Thadeuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Savannah,GA
Posts: 254
Default

The problem with all of this is: You can't fix stupid.

__________________

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Thadeuce is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #118
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FatPat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Forsyth,Georgia
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
The problem with all of this is: You can't fix stupid.
You are absolutely correct in the sense that you - we - cannot fix stupid by regulating it. I contend, however, that stupid tends to fix itself.

Laws do not stop criminal behavior. Someone, somewhere, is going to believe they can get away with it. All you can do is determine what is illegal and set appropriate punishment. By that same token, if you're stupid with a firearm, you will either shoot yourself or someone else and pay the price.
__________________
FatPat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #119
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Thadeuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Savannah,GA
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPat View Post
You are absolutely correct in the sense that you - we - cannot fix stupid by regulating it. I contend, however, that stupid tends to fix itself.

Laws do not stop criminal behavior. Someone, somewhere, is going to believe they can get away with it. All you can do is determine what is illegal and set appropriate punishment. By that same token, if you're stupid with a firearm, you will either shoot yourself or someone else and pay the price.
Yeah but if you shoot and kill someone, there is no equality. That person is dead. Even if you get the death penalty, they don't come back.
__________________

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Thadeuce is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #120
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FatPat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Forsyth,Georgia
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
Yeah but if you shoot and kill someone, there is no equality. That person is dead. Even if you get the death penalty, they don't come back.
You're right, there's no two ways about it. Someone is seriously injured or dies. The hard fact is people will find truly exceptionally stupid ways to kill other people, themselves, or both no matter what we do. This will never change. Using senseless idiocy to place more and more ineffective controls on something, particularly an essential liberty, does nothing but force those of us who already have a modicum of common sense to jump through more hoops.
__________________
FatPat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Mandatory Grad Student Health Insurance! mesinge2 Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 04-25-2011 04:57 PM
New York: Mandatory long-gun registration? bkt Legal and Activism 7 03-03-2011 03:29 AM
Mandatory Arabic Classes Coming to Mansfield Bigcountry02 Politics, Religion and Controversy 7 02-09-2011 07:55 PM
California Democrat proposes mandatory gun registration opaww Legal and Activism 11 04-09-2010 05:22 PM