Mandatory Training?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Mandatory Training?

View Poll Results: Do you support mandatory training for carry licensure?
Yes 31 35.63%
No 56 64.37%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mandatory Training?

I did a search on this, and couldn't find any discussion... if it's been discussed or is verboten, just kill the thread.

Having said that...

I just read a reply in another thread (where doesn't matter), the basic premise: States that had mandatory training as part of the licensing procedure were better/safer. For me, South Carolina comes to mind. It's the major sticking point for reciprocity between SC and GA.

Do you support mandatory training? Why? If not, why not?

My issue with mandatory training is that it's just another measure of control, subject to the abuses inherent in anything "mandated". Owning a gun - carrying a gun, is a right, not a privilge. I personally detest licensure, but that's another argument...

What say you?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

"We are from the government, and we are here to help you."
Not interested.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Manditory training is good in some scenarios, but a waste of time in others. It is in my opinion another way of controlling firearms, and such. It can be good if someone doesn't know anyone who likes firearms or has knowledge about saftey and such, but wants to learn to use them properly and such. My aunt for example was terrified of semi automatic handguns, but she took a saftey course that focused heavily on them, and now she respects them and somewhat likes them. It had a good outcome for her, but she could've just asked me for help -.- . It's has negative effects in that if it's required in order to get a liscense to own a firearm or conceal carry it makes it harder to obtain you right to own/carry a firearm. It might suppose to make the environment safer, but there will always be idiots who improperly treat and use a firearm.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I support "mandatory" training just because firearms can be dangerous. That said, there should be a way to test for proficiency w/o taking & sitting in the "mandatory" training. For me, training starts as soon as you started using firearms...what you learned/experience over the years should count as part of the "mandatory" training. (yeah I confuse myself too. )

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 07-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Anything that's mandetory in order to obtain or carry a firearm is worthless. All it does is give the government a way to try to make crime/accidents lessen, but it'll always be a problem. There will always be accidents or crime committed regardless of the law. Example: There was a POLICE OFFICER who went on a rampage where I live and killed his ex wife and severly injured a fellow police officer, and no one could stop him, because no one had a liscense to carry a firearm. So as a result it took two officers to finally subdue him by shooting him multiple times.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #6

Liked 2525 Times on 1135 Posts
Likes Given: 2428

Just another infringement. Who pays for the training? If you are poor and can't afford the training does that mean you don't have a right to defend yourself. Not to mention that the government has screwed up everything they touch.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #7

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

In a perfect world I wouldn't mind this sort of thing. We do not, however, live in a perfect world and the government has proven time and time again that they are interested in controlling the public. They forgot that they're public servants. Not the other way around. Not only that, but they have proven time and again that they do not have the capability to do anything right. Even if they're intentions were good, they would find a way to screw it up.

So, no. I do not support mandatory training to carry.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Nope............

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I would consider myself more of a "purist".

The 2nd Amendment already gives us the right to carry openly or concealed. Whether we actually DO carry openly or concealed... or carry at all should be up to us, as individuals. I support ANY legislation that gives BACK our RIGHTS, whether it aligns with my preference or not.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't say things like, "The right to bear hunting rifles only", or "Right to bear concealed handguns", etc. It says our right to bear ARMS shall not be infringed. It doesn't say we can't have machine guns, or silencers, etc.

The fact that we have to ask "permission" to carry concealed here in Texas is appalling to me. The fact that open carry isn't "allowed" is equally appalling.

I'm not championing the cause of open carry because I WANT to open carry... I'm just supporting chiseling away the laws that took our Constitutionally guaranteed rights away.
All that said, I believe training should be mandated by PARENTS, not the government. Parents should be teaching their kids firearm safety AND marksmanship. Of course, that means the PARENTS should already know because they should've been taught by THEIR parents.

Since the majority of today's society has gotten away from this country's heritage, unfortunately, most parents don't have a clue.

The good news is there is a grass-roots organization to help restore America's hertiage: Project Appleseed Home

Parents who don't attend with their children are just bad parents.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #10

Government mandated training No!
Individual mandated training Yes!