man shot in face while brother shoots pig. - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > man shot in face while brother shoots pig.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, fair enough. Violent reaction. Thrashing about. On par with say trying to hand sand the starfish of an alligator in a phone booth (Thanks to Ron White for that one). I get that part.

At what point does the rifle reverse direction, into the face of the brother, and go off again??

I merely guessing here, but I don't think either brother was in the running for a Governor's Best and Brightest Scholarship.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Okay, fair enough. Violent reaction. Thrashing about. On par with say trying to hand sand the starfish of an alligator in a phone booth (Thanks to Ron White for that one). I get that part.

At what point does the rifle reverse direction, into the face of the brother, and go off again??

I merely guessing here, but I don't think either brother was in the running for a Governor's Best and Brightest Scholarship.
as i said, i dont think it did a 180 and fired. it's possible the rifle WENT backwards. just as if recoil from a large rifle was making it do it. the muzzle could of bounced up and in a direction enough so that the second shot was a headshot. i dont know im just guessing but thats what i see happening.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
as i said, i dont think it did a 180 and fired. it's possible the rifle WENT backwards. just as if recoil from a large rifle was making it do it. the muzzle could of bounced up and in a direction enough so that the second shot was a headshot. i dont know im just guessing but thats what i see happening.

Okay, go with me here. A pig is, what, about 2.5 to 3 feet tall? I mean, on average depending on age, sex, breed, etc.

So I am thinking shooter 1 was holding gun something like this, image one.

I would assume the brother is of average height, so about 5 feet to 5-6" tall. Even if he was kneeling over...

How then, does the rifle go to THIS?! Image two.

And then go off???
rifle-pointed-down.jpg   rifle-pointed-up.jpg  

Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Okay, go with me here. A pig is, what, about 2.5 to 3 feet tall? I mean, on average depending on age, sex, breed, etc.

So I am thinking shooter 1 was holding gun something like this, image one.

How then, does it go to THIS?! Image two.

And then go off???
but its possible both were very close to try to hold pig still. anyway .. like you said both seem less than smart.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
but its possible both were very close to try to hold pig still. anyway .. like you said both seem less than smart.
I suppose if they were both down there, wrestling the pig and the rifle slipped, I could see that a hell of a lot easier than was what written in the story.

Quote:
The older brother had the .22 caliber rifle, while his younger brother, a man in his late 20s, stood by
I'm not saying you are wrong or the story is not possible. I am just saying it sounds awfully odd the way it was reported. I just find the whole story off to be honest.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #16

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Our nieghbor would slaughter a pig or goat for 4th of july picnic in years past, mainly pigs.

He used a 22 rifle on every pig that I witnessed being made ready into bbq. He simply threw some feed down at the end of the pen that had a large oak tree over it. He would be outside the pen, while the hog was eating the feed the nieghbor stuck the rifle close to the pigs head and pulled the trigger. It always seemed to drop the pig in a humane fashion.

My point is, this activity is not range time. There are extra steps you need to take in certain situations to keep everyone safe. The pig is an unknown quantity and steps should be taken to minimize unwanted results. There are ways of doing things, these brothers didn't look at a bigger picture of unintended consequences.

NEVER FORGET

Last edited by downsouth; 10-16-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1750 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 5303

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I'm using this as a learning experience. Tell me why you said this and what kind of rifle should have been used?
There has certainly been some additional posts that speek of unpredictable animals, bump fire with trigger on finger, etc.

My thoughts are that a repeat shot is usually easier to accomplish with a semi automatic. (Less movement or force required).

Since the activity involves unpredictiable animals, this falls more into an accident than a negligent discharge. A shot was planned and executed but followed by an accidental discharge. I know that there are some who say "There is no such thing as accidental... always negligent" To those I say, "the world is a big place, it goes farther than your opinions"

So, back to the story. This probably wouldn't have occured with a bolt action. Too many precise movements required. 'probably wouldn't occur with a lever action, a very unlikely with a pump or a revolving cylnder.

That kinda leaves me with the assuption that an semi-automatic was used.

So as part of my learning experience I would think that a planned shot followed by an accidental discharge could be mimized with something other than a semi-auto. I might pick the bolt or lever, because additional precise movements are required to reload and execute the accidental discharge.

I hope this explains my thought process and reasoning.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1750 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 5303

Quote:
. I just find the whole story off to be honest.
Dill, you'll have to drop by some day while we are killing chickens.
Some drop, some flop and some get pretty darn crazy.

Imagine that with a full size pig. All you would need is a ring and a ladder to have wrestle mania.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
Dill, you'll have to drop by some day while we are killing chickens.
Some drop, some flop and some get pretty darn crazy.

Imagine that with a full size pig. All you would need is a ring and a ladder to have wrestle mania.
I don't doubt that. JonM explained that portion well enough for me. I have killed a small handful of things in my life from a "hunting" perspective, so I can see that portion of the story perfectly in my mind's eye.

Where I have a problem is, presumably as you discussed, a semi automatic weapon reversing direction and shooting a brother who is standing off to the side, or behind, in the face when a pig jumps up and hits the muzzle after getting shot at close range.

Was this one of those Marine Corps rifles that spins and twirls?

I think like this:

Pig. 45 degree down angle, close to skin/flesh. If it was any more straight up and down, one would think the rifle would have went up in the air, not flipped around.

So 45 degree, or less, down angle, muzzle on swine. Presumably a rifleman's hold with one hand on foreend, but maybe he was one handing it and holding the pig down.

Bang. Explosive response from Ms. Piggy, ramming skull into muzzle with enough force for it to reverse angle away.

How does the guy pull the trigger, or the discharge occur, at the exact point to shoot his brother in the face/head?

Where is Sebbie?!?! The odds on that have to be lottery-esque.

I'm saying JD-Crime Scene Investigator that not all the facts are in yet.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

'Porky's revenge;' 'nuff said.