man shot in face while brother shoots pig.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > man shot in face while brother shoots pig.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

We all know that firearms can be dangerous. When you add an animal to the equation the unknown factor of an animals behavior can have unexpected results and deserves even more caution.

What was going to be a family feast has turned into a family tragedy.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/10/13/man-in-critical-condition-after-being-shot-trying-to-slaughter-pig/

NEVER FORGET

Last edited by downsouth; 10-16-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6325 Times on 3156 Posts
Likes Given: 6814

Sad really. I used to hunt Grouse and Pheasant years ago and that was a bit of a challenge with a dog and a buddy. The high Corn, still pretty congested foliage and fact that we moved a fair distance apart made it nearly dangerous. The dog always had a bell so we knew its location, the rest of us had to use our voices, ears and experience to make sure we didnt shoot each other.

My old hunting dog died, The Pheasants are gone and all we have left are flying bowling balls (Turkey's). No longer interested in bird hunting...

Old 10-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1797 Times on 998 Posts
Likes Given: 5415

Can we learn from this that we should not use semi-automatics? (pure conjecture) I wish there was more information as to be useful.

It is a shame for the family, friends and all gunowners when an accident occurs.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7331 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9024

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
Can we learn from this that we should not use semi-automatics? (pure conjecture) I wish there was more information as to be useful.

It is a shame for the family, friends and all gunowners when an accident occurs.
I'm using this as a learning experience. Tell me why you said this and what kind of rifle should have been used?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

It has nothing to do with semi-autos. It has to do with negligence pure and simple. You don't stand downrange from a shooter. You keep your booger picker off the trigger until ready to fire. It is a sad accident but it is still a negligent discharge.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7331 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9024

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
It has nothing to do with semi-autos. It has to do with negligence pure and simple. You don't stand downrange from a shooter. You keep your booger picker off the trigger until ready to fire. It is a sad accident but it is still a negligent discharge.
The article implied the pig bucked, knocking the rifle backwards and shot the brother standing behind the shooter. At least that's what I understood it to say.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #7

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

The article implied the pig bucked, knocking the rifle backwards and shot the brother standing behind the shooter. At least that's what I understood it to say.
That's the way I read it also Winds. That's why I wrote about even more caution when a varible like animals are in the mix.

NEVER FORGET

Old 10-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
That's the way I read it also Winds. That's why I wrote about even more caution when a varible like animals are in the mix.
hmm. i read it as a bump fire incident. he shot the pig, the pig bucked pushing the rifle back and the shooters finger was still on the trigger and the bump triggered a second shot. now he may not of been directly in front of the rifle. but the rifle may have bounced some to the left or right. but i dont see how it would spin and hit someone beside, or behind the shooter. rifles generally dont bounce like that. if it was a bolt action it would of been preventable, if more caution was used it could of been preventable.... if it was me i would of used a higher powered rifle from a little more distance away.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
two brothers at the home woke up early Saturday morning to slaughter one of their pigs, say police. The older brother had the .22 caliber rifle, while his younger brother, a man in his late 20s, stood by. When the older brother put the gun to the pig and fired, police say the pig bucked back.
The pig bucked, and the rifle went backwards, and it went off again a second time
Maybe I am just not well versed in the correct way to put the Coup De Grace on said swine.

How does one put a .22 caliber rifle (horrible choice by the way, one would think perhaps a bit more gun would have helped) to the back of the head of a pig, fire, the pig bucks, the rifle ends up 180 degrees in the opposite direction and then fires again???

I realize this a tragedy and all, but does this make sense to everyone else but me and I am alone in the back of the short bus here??

Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

Maybe I am just not well versed in the correct way to put the Coup De Grace on said swine.

How does one put a .22 caliber rifle (horrible choice by the way, one would think perhaps a bit more gun would have helped) to the back of the head of a pig, fire, the pig bucks, the rifle ends up 180 degrees in the opposite direction and then fires again???

I realize this a tragedy and all, but does this make sense to everyone else but me and I am alone in the back of the short bus here??
when you shoot an animal in the head the involuntary reaction is very violent. its totally possible. being a little smarter would have saved his brother. when you put down an animal you dont stand anywhere near it much less close enough to touch it with a gun. the reaction form a headshot from a an animal the size of a pig or larger is VERY violent and uncontrollable. even if it is a single shot firearm the dead animal can wreak a ton of damage if your next to it as it kicks jerks and bucks around.

sometimes they just drop sometimes they jump like crazy. its where the term chicken with its head cutoff comes from. upscale that to a couple hundred pound animal and you can see how it would be pretty damn stupid to stand anywhere near one putting it down.

anyway the strange part is this:

Quote:
It’s also unclear just what happened to the pig, and if the slaughter was successful.
heh, sorry i just cant help finding humor in even the worst of it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-16-2012 at 04:09 PM.