Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Man gets shrapnel lodged in head after shooting Tannerite-rigged computer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1778 Times on 1014 Posts
Likes Given: 3562

Default Man gets shrapnel lodged in head after shooting Tannerite-rigged computer

FYI, use safety precaution, i.e. position oneself and others behind barrier when using Tannerite.

http://www.guns.com/2013/08/17/man-gets-shrapnel-lodged-in-head-after-shooting-tannerite-rigged-computer-video/?utm_source=feedly

Quote:
A video recently posted on Live Leak shows the possible dangerous effects of using Tannerite, a product made up of ammonium nitrate and aluminum which causes a small explosion when shot. The product has made headlines several times recently as both its safety and possible uses are questioned.

The video shows a man shooting at a computer which he has rigged with an unknown amount of Tannerite. Immediately following the explosion, pieces of shrapnel from the computer can be seen flying through the air. One of these pieces was launched into the shooter’s forehead.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4e3_1376602237

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #2

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

There are times when even a Conservative thinks should he be allowed to own a firearm?

Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 890 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Become steel or get cut.
People Like This 
Old 08-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2839 Times on 1947 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Maybe the computer was a PC with boot problems.....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 08-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #5

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

For some reason, the ELO song "Cant Get You Out Of My Head"

comes to mind. I guess it's a shame they didn't record

"Not Using Proper Judgement While I Shoot"...

Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I see the lawyers adding a line to the computer owner's manual now:

Use of computer as a target voids warranty. Addition of Tannerite and/or other explosive compounds provides a dangerous situation to computer users and should be avoided at all costs. Dell cannot be responsible for high-velocity modifications.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5682 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 6043

Warning, Playing games with explosives and devices that explode can be hazardous to your health (or the health of spectators)!

Does anyone really need that in writing? He's lucky as poo that it wasnt about an inch lower or he might be blind as well as dumb! When we started seeing the mock secondary explosions on the gun shows, I had this thought that we might see a "boom" in injuries caused by things like this. The idiot warning at the beginning of the shows does nothing to actually stop folks from trying what they see on tv. Ive found that almost anything with the ending "Ite" can be dangerous when initiated with heat and compression; packing it inside of anything but a jelly doughnut and shooting it will cause shrapnel and Injuries if your close enough.

All that said, I have certainly had my share of explosives play in the Army but that was done under very strict and controlled situations with experts on site to make sure we all left the ranges with everything we started out with still attached to our bodies! One range we each had two pallets per NCO of explosives (TNT, C4), generators, cords and caps (we even made little explosive bunnies out of the C4, dont pet fluffy if you see a det cord sticking out its ass). That was one of the most fun days Ive ever spent on a range. Its amazing just how far rocks, sticks and debris can fly when propelled by even a small amount of explosive material.

Another thing to note, the guy in this clip obviously wasnt wearing protective gear (helmet, eye protection, flack vest) otherwise this headline wouldnt have made the news "Man escapes injury because he was fully prepared for what he was doing"! He gets the Darwin award, at least an honorarium!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 08-18-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #9

Liked 4573 Times on 2212 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

Wow...

Common sense... rarely as abundant as we'd like

Tack

Old 08-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8445 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Y'know- there is a REAL good reason why, if there is no Blaster's Shelter, you will find us parking a loader tail end-on to the shot, and sitting inside the bucket when we pull a shot.

Bare rock can boogie, and the rock wins every time.

blaster-shelter.jpg

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This