Major safety issue
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Major safety issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Major safety issue

I know this will sounds crazy and like something people that have gun experience would not do. But if me giving this info out keeps one person from hurting themselves it is worth posting

Recently I observed the aftermath of a person attempting to drill out a 6MM round out of a bolt action rifle. The round got stuck for some unknown reason. The gun owners attempted to push the round out using a rod with no luck. They then pushed the lead back into the casing. They put a large amount of oil down the barrel to lube up the casing, still would not come out. The owner then believed he culd use a drill and drill a hole NEXT to the primer. he removed the bolt and stock and secured the rifle. Due to drilling very close to the primer he had his face and body close to the breach area to see what he was doing. From what I understand he was going to make a hole so he could put a slid-hammer in and pull the round. As he drilled the primer went off and BANG. The casing, drill bite and other shrapnel came back into his body, face and eyes. Needless to say he is in very bad shape.

I know at first most of use would not dream of doing this. But I can see where he was coming from and what he was attempting to do. In my and most likely his wildest dream this could't happen. I have seen other posts regarding round getting stuck. I don't know what is the best way to get a round out but I do know this was very damaging to the victim.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to give a heads up!

Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Now that's just damn sad. What the Hell is wrong with people?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

wow that is bad.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sadly this sounds like a do-it-yourselfer that is probably fairly intelligent under most circumstances, that was trying to save a few bucks and not take it to the smith.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:55 AM   #6

I recently had a 270 shell get caught up... I used my Hunting Knife and caught the Lip of the shell and got it out easily. While that may not be a very reasonable way to get it out of a Semi-auto, (The Rifle I used was a bolt action) It worked for me... But If it gets caught in the gun and you cant get it out by simple means, Dont be a Dumb-*** Take it to a Smith. Becuz he tryed to save what maybe $20? And now hes probbaly in critical with his face tore up and Will be paying Thousands in Medical bills.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #7

Ohhhhh....that was not real smart. Kinda like checking the gas tank with a Bic Lighter Best to do what Jeehs said. I hope the gentleman recovers well.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #8

Liked 252 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 15

One more reason to wear safety glasses at all times. Yeah, I know, even I don't do it...