Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Madison Hts., Michigan-2 shot in accidental shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/madison-hts-michigan-2-shot-accidental-shooting-24867/)

Car54 03-19-2010 03:43 PM

Madison Hts., Michigan-2 shot in accidental shooting

By Michael P. McConnell, Macomb Daily Staff Writer

Police consider whether to file charges against owner of gun

Madison Heights police are deciding whether to seek charges against a Warren man following an accidental shooting in which a single bullet went through his hand and struck another man in the stomach.

"We'll look to see if alcohol was involved," said Madison Heights police Lt. Robert Anderson. "It sounds like the shooter was being careless and screwing around with the gun and it went off."

The two men who were shot remain in stable condition at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, police said.

Madison Heights police were called to the hospital after 11 p.m. Monday when the Warren man, 20, and a Madison Heights man, 26, showed up at the hospital for treatment.

The men remained in stable condition at the hospital Wednesday, police said.

The weapon, a .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun, is legally registered to a Shelby Township man, 24, who brought it to the Madison Heights man's house in the 27000 block of Dartmouth, police said.

The Warren man was handling the gun when it accidentally fired and a bullet went completely through his hand and lodged in the homeowner's stomach, Anderson said.

"We're considering charging the shooter with unsafe handling of a firearm which is a 90-day misdemeanor," Anderson said.

The gun owner has a permit to carry a concealed pistol from Macomb County's Concealed Weapon Licensing Board.

Police said they will notify the board of the accidental shooting, and it will be up to the board to decide whether to revoke the owner's license.

detroit2786 03-19-2010 04:20 PM

I used to live in that same neighborhood. I'm going down there tonight I'll see if I can figure out who it was.

These guys forgot rules 1, 2, and 3 of firearms saftey.

Most likely however they didn't know them.

I'm not as young as these guys, but I can understand the temptation to "play" with guns if your only exposure is from tv or the movies.

my belief is that you shouldn't handle a firearm until you first respect it for what it is. If you have that respect you will always follow even the most basic of saftey procedures.

robocop10mm 03-23-2010 03:10 PM

Sounds like a Glock/fail to clear chamber before pulling trigger to break it down kind of situation.

People just do not understand the mechanics of an auto loading pistol. It does have to be chambered manually before firing. It does not somehow magically chamber the first round for you, DERRRRRRRRR!