Looking for a safety job at a firearm manufacturer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Looking for a safety job at a firearm manufacturer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for a safety job at a firearm manufacturer

I'm not too sure where to post this. I'm currently obtaining my associates degree in occupational health and safety. I graduate in December and I'm looking for a safety job preferably for a firearm company. I just don't know how to apply for one cuz when I go to a firearm website there's not a "careers" selection I can click on. Does anyone know where or how I could apply for a safety technician/coordinator for a larger firearm manufacturer?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece_meador
I'm not too sure where to post this. I'm currently obtaining my associates degree in occupational health and safety. I graduate in December and I'm looking for a safety job preferably for a firearm company. I just don't know how to apply for one cuz when I go to a firearm website there's not a "careers" selection I can click on. Does anyone know where or how I could apply for a safety technician/coordinator for a larger firearm manufacturer?
Have you tried talking to your academic advisor or a "job coach" (couldn't think of a better term). People like that are the ones that help with job placement opportunities. Also try contacting customer service and see if they can get you to someone that can help answer those questions. That's all I could come up with to help, and good luck on the job search !!!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #3

Liked 2495 Times on 1423 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece_meador View Post
I guess a job at the glock factory is out of the question...

Old 11-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #4

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I doubt there are that many jobs in firearms manufacturing today. These are remarkable small machine shops. During my years working with S&Ws management company the main income was from truck transmission parts.
An associates Degree will only work in low entry jobs. Most of the people we used came from military industrial backgrounds.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #5

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I guess a job at the glock factory is out of the question...
Gonna have to change my drawers now, thanks...

scat everywhere. Just all over the freaking place.

Never trust a fart while you're laughing your ass off.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #6

Liked 117 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 142

If you can...target a manufacturer. There was a Remington plant in Lonoke, AR for example. Find a person or persons who have the authority to hire or make recommendations or introduce you to the right person. Utilize this person if possible to wiggle your way into the organization any way you can and set goals, be persistent and you will be rewarded. Luck is where opportunity meets preparation. I think most good manufacturing jobs in big companies like Remington are pretty good jobs so expect lots of competition. Also, utilize head hunters if applicable...network...use Linked In to follow companies you are targeting....persistence is key. You only lose the game when you stop playing.

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #7

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I think to get hired as a Safety Engineer you're going to need a BA at least. Fortunately there is a lot of safety credits available online now.

That said, I didn't have a safety degree and I used to handle safety at the largest pine mill in NYS, possibly the northeast. I was offered the position after I had already proven myself working clean up at the mill. (It was a BIG job. My dust pan was a Cat 930 bucket loader and my trash can was a IH dump truck.) I'm suggesting you get any job available in a firearms manufacturer, and then make yourself indispensable to management for the required safety inspections and/or safety committee meanings and whatnot.

Don't limit yourself to a manufacturing company.

Keep in mind if you're working for a manufacturer, you're usually considered an 'expense' until you bring the LWDI down, if you can bring the LWDI down. If you're working for an insurance company, or the state labor department, you're a 'capital generator'. I don't know if a Safety AAS would get you in these doors, but the same tactics as above could work.

Become the 'expert'.

Consider writing some safety articles for a firearm or small manufacturing trade magazine. Focus on how specific safety management techniques can reduce insurance premiums and limit losses from injured workers & lost productivity. It would likly be published by an association and won't pay much if anything, but the editorial bar will probably be low and you won't have to do any original research. Just regurgitate some safety principles you learned in school and make sure it's in English. Small magazines are usually happy to have a source of copy to separate the ads. It may or may get you a name, but a couple of published safety articles included with your CV will make you stand out from the others.

I would suggest you become a member of the American Society of Safety Engineers.
http://www.asse.org/membership/docs/411924_ASSE_MemberAppl_Feditable.pdf

The Board of Certified Safety Professionals has a category for AAS holders, but you have to have some safety work experience before you can sit for the test.
http://www.bcsp.org/safety-certifications

These will get you initials behind your name. Initials are good. People love initials.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
You've prepared, now let opportunity become aware you're around.

Last edited by Vincine; 11-17-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1989 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Go to the mfg website. Click on Corporate. Go to contact and employment opportunities should come up.
http://www.ruger.com/corporate/index.html

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #9

Liked 2495 Times on 1423 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Gonna have to change my drawers now, thanks...

scat everywhere. Just all over the freaking place.

Never trust a fart while you're laughing your ass off.
George of Jungle just here to help...