Looking for pistol training in Norfolk, VA
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Looking for pistol training in Norfolk, VA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Looking for pistol training in Norfolk, VA

Does anyone have recommendations for good basic pistol training in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia?

I'm thinking of taking one of NRA's basic pistol shooting courses, but have no experiences with choosing instructors. The NRA website lists around 3 instructors in my area (zip code 23508) who teach the course. Are all NRA instructors pretty good since they are certified? I'm not even sure of that process. Should I go with a non-NRA course?

I want to definitely brush up on the basics of pistol marksmanship and ownership. I eventually want to get my concealed handgun permit too.

There is also a specific concealed carry course in Northern Virginia that might be good. It's taught by an NRA instructor too, but doesn't include any range time. Almost a seminar it looks like. ConcealedCarryAcademy.com It is $699 and talks about choosing the right gun, holster, ammo, laws, etc.

Please tell me what you all think about my training plan options. I don't want to start going to the range and just go plinking all day, learning bad habits.

Are there any other formalized handgun training programs other than the NRA programs that are worth it?

If I went the NRA track I was thinking the basic pistol course and then the inside and outside the home protection courses later on.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

I have a buddy in the area that does the nra handgun courses ill pm his info to you he is good retired navy seal he will take care of ya

Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m
I have a buddy in the area that does the nra handgun courses ill pm his info to you he is good retired navy seal he will take care of ya
Yeah I'd love that! Thanks

Old 01-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

His card is in my wife truck ill send the info when she gets bome sorry for the wait

Old 01-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We are in Richmond and would be happy to help you with any training needs that you have....

FYI, if you are interested, we just announced a Utah permit class (classroom only) at the Bass Pro Shop in Hampton. Seating is limited for that one. Details on our website.

www.ProactiveShooters.com

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
Utah Concealed Firearms Certified Instructor
SABRE Pepper Spray CSAP Instructor
12 year veteran - former law enforcement

Old 01-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll ask my father and uncle if they know of any in that area since they both were born and raised in Norfolk. If they do not know I can ask my grandfather since he still lives in Norfolk or I can do some research to help you out.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp