Looking For High Quality Firearms Training Aorund The Detoit Area - What To Look For?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Looking For High Quality Firearms Training Aorund The Detoit Area - What To Look For?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking For High Quality Firearms Training Aorund The Detoit Area - What To Look For?

Getting back into the firearms sport after a long break (over 30 years)...My wife is currently employed at L3/Eotech so she has been out to the range a couple times with people from work (fun events) and has expressed an interest in getting in the sport (something we can both do together).....anyway we are both going to take a beginner's fire arm course (her because she is a "newbie" and myself I need a brush up and I am sure equipment/techniques has changed a lot in the last 30 years or so.....(ya think?).......
anyway would like to know if anyone knows of a good range or facility around the Detroit/Ann Arbor area that has a good high quality Beginners, CCW and Personal Defense Courses......it seems that every firing range around Wayne & Washtenaw counties offers training in at least beginners & CCW courses and some offer the Personal Defense Courses among other types of training.......just would like to know which ones stand out over the others and what questions to ask and what to look for when visiting those facilities........thanks

PS: Have already taken delivery of a Kimber 45 Cal. Super Carry Pro (for starters) and she is looking at a S&W Bodyguard 38 (also to start with) both are going to be our "carry" weapons.........

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2010, 05:17 AM   #2
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would highly recommend Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute near Kalamazoo. It's a few hour drive for me to get there but it has been worth the drive everytime I've take one of Steve Fisher's classes.

With that said, I don't know what his schedule will be like in 2011. He is an instructor for Magpul and will be on the road a lot next year.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #3

The Chelsea Rod and Gun club does have some training available to the pubic. Many, many, many, years ago I took hunter safety there. I have not lived in the area for a lot of years but still call Chelsea home. The family farm is on S. Platt road there in AA.

Depending on where you are in Ann Arbor, the drive to the Rod and Gun should be 30-40 minutes. The Club is 5 or so miles north of town.

Good luck, be safe.

Bill

Chelsea Rod and Gun Club - 2010 Public Calendar of Events

Old 12-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Pick a dark night around 2:00AM and walk around downtown anywhere between Cass Ave. and Beaubien St. from Mack Ave. to the Fisher Freeway.

The training will be as "real" as it gets state-side!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello