The long, hot summer of 2011 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > The long, hot summer of 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
I can't wait till the next hurricane passes through, No comforts of home.. An make dang sure to stock up on water and rubbin alcohol. [] Oh yea and beer......You would be surprised how fast you can get your yard cleaned after a hurricane if you have cold beer in stock.....
I lived in New Orleans for 15 years... been there, done that!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Heavy meals.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
It's now August and (believe it or not) it's even hotter here in E. Texas than it was in July! I know many other areas of the country have been under the heat wave recently, but with a hand full of exceptions it's been 100 F or higher since early June in most of Texas. That's WAY too hot, even here, for so long and especially beginning so early in the summer. OTOH it was 111 degrees - actual temp, not heat index - in my yard today and the forecast is for 105-110 for at least the next two weeks. I now know the TRUE meaning of the phrase "Long Hot Summer". I may also have to think twice about Al Gore and global warming if it keeps up much longer.

Anyway, I've observed that on the few times I've braved the heat and gone to my local outdoor range, there were almost no other shooters where there's normally at least a dozen and usually more. I know I've cut back on my time there and it seems others have as well! For those who've had to deal with the oppressive heat as well as me, what do you do to compensate for your reduced range time or do you just suck it up, sweat it out and endure the miserableness!
What would you consider as a lite meal if you had to work in todays heat. My wife has a job opening to cook for people that must work in the heat of the day. They don't want thier workers over loaded on heavy foods. Please give me your suggestions as to what you would like to eat in times of 97+ degrees

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #13

Well, for me it depends on the work I'd need to do and which meal, whether breakfast, lunch or a snack for example and for how long (days, weeks, etc). I've spent a fair amount of time outside this summer, frequently NOT by choice and much of it with the scouts and adult leaders. Everyone seems to prefer "lite" foods like sandwiches, fruits, snack items and other "finger" foods. The sandwiches are usually cold cuts (turkey, ham & cheese slices are popular and easy) with the fixin's and everyone makes their own. LOTS of cold things to drink such as iced tea and sport drinks or simply cold water are a must. We usually keep cola to a minimum - mainly to keep the kids from gulping down a six pack each if you let them - since most contain a lot more sugar and caffeine than most other drinks, both of which aren't very good for you in hot conditions. There are also those that like soup and a salad along with us adults that STILL must have their daily caffeine (coffee). The biggest thing seems to be not eating too much and loading up on heavy, greasy foods, lots of dairy and so forth.

Last edited by rachilders; 08-05-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:06 AM   #14

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Here in NW texas I think it has gotten down to 99-98 degrees for a max temp about 3 times since late may. We have had right at or just less than 1 inch of rain so far this year. This sucks. I grew up here but for the past 4 years I lived in south louisiana. I would love for a hurricane to come through here now. My thermometer in the shop were I work showed 128 yesterday (in the shade but with several large engines running).

As for the food... water, water and did I say water? At lunch I can barely eat. I normaly eat a small sandwich or a small fajita from a place down the road.

Last edited by bigbomar4; 08-11-2011 at 03:09 AM.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3017 Times on 1572 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I'm really appreciating this Midnight shift. I don't go in til after dark and get to bed around sunrise. 92 degres at 0300 is far better than 107 at 1500

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #16

The triple digit heat is suppose to continue through this month as per the local weather guesser. After nearly 50 days of 100 degree or higher temps since the start of June and only 6 inches of rain in more than 6 months, we are beginning to look more like eastern Turkey than eastern Texas!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #17

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
[] Oh yea and beer......You would be surprised how fast you can get your yard cleaned after a hurricane if you have cold beer in stock.....
I like beer, it makes me a jolly good fellow, I like beer......

I also like it because the more BEER I drink, the better the wife looks. She use to be a TWO bagger, I wore one in case her paper bag broke, but not with lots of beer, it makes me a jolly good fellow, I like beer...

Old 08-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #18

It has been around 80 for two days in Ohio - most of the summer it has been between 90 and 100. That is unusual for Ohio. I'm not ready to jump on the global climate change bandwagon yet, however. The climate is constantly changing, just not sure about all this man did it stuff.

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #19

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Even NOAA agrees this is a record breaking year for heat and lack of rain.

2011 July Heat Dry Lubbock National Weather Service

Old 08-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i got to the range 1st thing in the morning because it is cooler in the a.m. than evenings. always lots of water.. and as for what to eat. real mexican tacos and horchata always works great. starches seem to really help. i go indoor and outdoor all the time and the indoor is the one that really kills me and gets cut short in the heat. no a/c in indoor.
and your right the trade off is there are not alot of people at either range which is awesome and worth the sweat.