Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   The long, hot summer of 2011 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/long-hot-summer-2011-a-46122/)

rachilders 08-01-2011 11:21 PM

The long, hot summer of 2011

It's now August and (believe it or not) it's even hotter here in E. Texas than it was in July! I know many other areas of the country have been under the heat wave recently, but with a hand full of exceptions it's been 100 F or higher since early June in most of Texas. That's WAY too hot, even here, for so long and especially beginning so early in the summer. OTOH it was 111 degrees - actual temp, not heat index - in my yard today and the forecast is for 105-110 for at least the next two weeks. I now know the TRUE meaning of the phrase "Long Hot Summer". I may also have to think twice about Al Gore and global warming if it keeps up much longer. :cool:

Anyway, I've observed that on the few times I've braved the heat and gone to my local outdoor range, there were almost no other shooters where there's normally at least a dozen and usually more. I know I've cut back on my time there and it seems others have as well! For those who've had to deal with the oppressive heat as well as me, what do you do to compensate for your reduced range time or do you just suck it up, sweat it out and endure the miserableness! :mad:

danf_fl 08-01-2011 11:42 PM

I believe that one should practice in any weather (cold, heat, sunshine, sleet).

Sometimes it is nice to have the range to yourself. Damn the weather.

lonyaeger 08-01-2011 11:59 PM

^^^^What Dan said^^^^

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...gore_fraud.jpg

rachilders 08-02-2011 03:39 AM

It's 95 here at 10:30 PM. I just heard the weather on TV and tomorrows high is set for 109-112 and it's suppose to be that way for the next two weeks. A few days ago I also had a nephew return from Iraq for two weeks and he said these temps are what he's been dealing with over there. He had been looking forward to some "cool" East Texas weather in the low-mid nineties, but it looks like he'll now have to wait until his tour is over next March for that. OUCH!!

BTW, my way of dealing with the heat is to shoot later in the day (after 7PM if possible), spend more time reading my gun rags that tend to accumulate and spend more "hands on" time with my guns. That means cleaning, dry firing, doing minor projects that I've been putting off, reviewing my handling and safety procedures, etc. It's not range time but I consider it quality time. Actually, I consider ANY time I spend with my guns quality time!

orangello 08-02-2011 04:15 AM

Ever put one of those blue plastic freezable ice substitutes in your back pocket? Try it, but not in good pants. :)

winds-of-change 08-02-2011 05:04 AM

It has been very hot here, too. We often have a string of maybe 5 or 6 days above 90 then some relief. But not this year. It's been in the 90's for three or more weeks now and no end in sight. When I went shooting with JonM, it was hotter than heck and we sweat bullets as well as shot them.

hydrashok 08-02-2011 06:11 AM

rachilders, think you got it bad?? That rain y'all have been getting down in Longview keeps going right around us up here in Atlanta!

...although we did get 12 inch rain for about 15 minutes the other day...

...one drop every 12 inches! :mad:

rachilders 08-02-2011 06:59 AM

Sorry to break the bubble, but we haven't received 10 inches of rain TOTAL in 6 months. The word may not have reached you but the rain seems to always go west to Shreveport, south of Kilgore or stops near Tyler and never reaches us. Longview is in the weather Twilight Zone that exists between I-20 and I-30!

rachilders 08-02-2011 08:26 PM

FWIW, the thermometer in my yard was showing 115 at 3:00 PM today and that's in the shade. I was at Wally World yesterday around 4 PM. When I got in my car to come home the cars thermometer said the temperature in the lot was 121!

I understand the need for realistic training scenarios and training for all possible situations but there's NOTHING about temps in excess of 100 degrees for months on end that's realistic unless you're in Iraq or southern Arizona! It's not the occasional heat wave but weeks and months on end of triple digit heat - then throw in humidity for good measure - that eventually wears you down.

It's bad enough when you're forced to deal with this heat (or extreme cold if you're in North Dakota or Wyoming in January) because of your job or out of necessity but I can't see being miserable and uncomfortable by choice. Extreme temperatures are also a real danger, even for those who are accustomed to it and can properly deal with them. Sadly, most people don't. That's why heat stoke, stress and exhaustion kill so many during these heat waves. For anyone that wants to tough it out and train in this miserably hot weather we've had to endure here since June, you have my greatest respect... and sympathy.

willshoum 08-02-2011 08:43 PM

Humdity

I can't wait till the next hurricane passes through, No comforts of home.. An make dang sure to stock up on water and rubbin alcohol. [:eek:] Oh yea and beer......You would be surprised how fast you can get your yard cleaned after a hurricane if you have cold beer in stock.....:)