Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > A little knowledge for all semi-auto (and revolver) owners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 343 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
A good general rule is that if you are in a confrontational posture, don't correct. If you are more congenial, and you can do it without looking like a superior snob, then it doesn't hurt to take a few seconds to educate. Some people find the trivia interesting and you can make it fun instead of demeaning. It's almost always in the way you deliver it, rather than the information itself.
I agree with that wholeheartedly. However, my general experience from people on this forum is they adopt a bit of a "sneery" attitude on the terminology. Considering this is a primarily text-based interface I wonder how they convey that attitude in real life.

Considering my own experience dealing with tech geeks "Haha! That loser called the widget a thingamajig!" I cringe whenever I see people talk about magazines vs. clips to non-gun people.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1119 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
I agree with that wholeheartedly. However, my general experience from people on this forum is they adopt a bit of a "sneery" attitude on the terminology. Considering this is a primarily text-based interface I wonder how they convey that attitude in real life.

Considering my own experience dealing with tech geeks "Haha! That loser called the widget a thingamajig!" I cringe whenever I see people talk about magazines vs. clips to non-gun people.
LOL! A fair analogy. If we make sure that we're educating and uplifting instead of playing the "Gun Snob" then everyone wins. You are spot on that we should keep clear on the important issues and not lose the forest for the trees.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16818 Times on 9746 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

i am one of those who prefers the correct terms for items. there is a difference between a clip and a magazine. and we can educate those who don't know the difference without being an azz about it. and if we are going to educate others, then they do need the proper terms to be correct.

myself, i don't mind one bit in being corrected when i am wrong, but try and make me look stupid or pull a superior attitude about trying to correct me, and we will have problem.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post

LOL! A fair analogy. If we make sure that we're educating and uplifting instead of playing the "Gun Snob" then everyone wins. You are spot on that we should keep clear on the important issues and not lose the forest for the trees.
I like this. Well said. Even if it sounds a bit silly.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 695 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Clip vs magazine is along the same line as calling a ship a boat.

JP-USN 20 years retired
Alway keep your six covered

Old 09-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16818 Times on 9746 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Clip vs magazine is along the same line as calling a ship a boat.
i know there is a difference, but honestly i don't know the difference!

Old 09-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i know there is a difference, but honestly i don't know the difference!
I had heard that a ship is a sea-going vessel; anything unable to handle rough seas is a boat. Anyone confirm?

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I like this. Well said. Even if it sounds a bit silly.
I resemble that remark!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 19

There is a distinction between nomenclature and jargon that comes into this discussion. Jargon is understood slang between members of a group that serves to differentiate them from outsiders. Calling a revolver a "wheel-gun" is a use of jargon as would be calling a BMW automobile a "Beemer" and a BMW motorcycle a "Bimmer" (I think I got those right...). Nomenclature is the exact name of a device or element of a device or a specific description of it's function. A device with a specific and understood name and function cannot be called or referred to by the name of another, different device that has it's own title and function even if they are analogous. To do so is to commit an error and to allow it to be committed is to compound the error. It does make a difference! Just as the common "crap-word" assault-weapon is used by anti-gunners to describe everything from a Ruger 10/22 with a black plastic stock to a Barrett .50 BMG, by definition an "assault-weapon" is any instrument used in an assault; I.E. anything from a rock to an RPG and beyond. There is a specific, accepted definition of an assault-rifle however, and to use or allow any misrepresentation of that meaning is to commit an intellectual and linguistic offense. The hoplophobes may not like having their intellectual weaknesses exposed but it is necessary and can be done with politeness and grace if you exercise a little thought.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 09-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #20

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i am one of those who prefers the correct terms for items. there is a difference between a clip and a magazine. and we can educate those who don't know the difference without being an azz about it. and if we are going to educate others, then they do need the proper terms to be correct.

myself, i don't mind one bit in being corrected when i am wrong, but try and make me look stupid or pull a superior attitude about trying to correct me, and we will have problem.
Exactly +1 well said. I never thought my post would create such a debate. My reason for posting this was for the beginners and nothing to do with "showing off", I think beginners enjoy learning the correct terminology of weapons and makes them feel more competent going in to the wonderful world of firearms and hopefully encourages them to continue learning about weapons and the safety/responsibility that comes with them. In my area an armed society is a "polite" society, sound like a cliché, sure it is but it just so happens to be true in my neck of the woods. Flame me, bash me, I will still help and educate my fellow Americans if they so desire. Complaining about these kind of threads just discourages people from posting and makes the forum unattractive to newbies.

Keep calm, carry on