A little knowledge for all semi-auto (and revolver) owners.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > A little knowledge for all semi-auto (and revolver) owners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default A little knowledge for all semi-auto (and revolver) owners.

Does my gun have a clip or a magazine? I have seen so many people call a magazine a clip I thought I would create a thread about it. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has a nice write on them, but my favorite is of course Hickok45 which made this nice little vidieo on the differences for them. Hope this helps the shooters out there that are not sure the difference between the two.

As I was playing around in Hickok45's youtube site I ran across this video as well, How NOT to shoot a semi-auto pistol. Something similar happened to a friend of mine back in 1979 when I bought my first semi-auto (a .25 Titan F.I.E. for $49.95 at the local department store) when we took it out the first time, but he only got a good cut from it. For the beginners this will save you some skin/pain and for the experienced it should be a little amusing to see what happened to the hotdog.

While I am at it here is a little ditty on the revolver by Hickok45

Keep calm, carry on

Last edited by M605; 09-12-2013 at 01:54 PM.
shadecorp Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #2

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Here's my ongoing issue with the whole "magazine vs. clip" debate.

Nobody cares. It's a level of semantic detail that is ONLY important to people of the gun. It's like talking to a Trekkie (who wants to be called a "Trekker") and have them explain the differences between the various types of ships named Enterprise. It's only important to them.

We can get as twitterpated as we want over it, but it's a semantic detail that wastes time. We don't need to condescendingly correct people, we need them to understand why having 30 rounds in a clip is not a bad thing.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

People Like This 
Old 09-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post

Nobody cares. It's a level of semantic detail that is ONLY important to people of the gun. It's like talking to a Trekkie (who wants to be called a "Trekker") and have them explain the differences between the various types of ships named Enterprise. It's only important to them.

We can get as twitterpated as we want over it, but it's a semantic detail that wastes time. We don't need to condescendingly correct people, we need them to understand why having 30 rounds in a clip is not a bad thing.
For the record I am not "condescendingly correcting people". I am sure some people will find it interesting, sorry you don't, but thank you for your rant.

Keep calm, carry on

Last edited by M605; 09-12-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the information

Old 09-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:

There appears to be more than a difference of semantics.
forumrunner_20130916_100714.jpg   magazine.jpeg  

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #6

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
There appears to be more than a difference of semantics.
Sure, to us. I know the difference between a magazine and a clip. The problem is that arguing over semantics is a "forest for the trees" situation.

What is your priority? Showing off your superior gun knowledge or having a meaningful debate on why gun control doesn't work?

Believe it or not, you can't have it both ways.

I've worked in the technology field for many years now. I have tons of esoteric knowledge that simply does not translate well to people who are non-technical. In the process of explaining projects or negotiating contracts it is very tempting to start correcting non-technical people on their vernacular. While I always make sure requirements or specification use the correct language, I have found that in trying to convince someone to see things my way or to at least consider my point of view trying to correct them on terminology is a great way to set them against me.

I don't own a single firearm that uses a clip. When I talk to someone who uses that term in reference to modern firearms, I just do a sort of inner head shake and keep my eye on the ball. Getting mired in the details is going to gain me nothing.

Now if I can get someone to the range and is interested in shooting, THAT is the time to do some education.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #7

Liked 2505 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

Quote:

This state perfectly how a large percentage of us feel. In essence,

who cares?

Now, you call O-care a "good health care plan", THEN we have

something to argue about...

Last edited by therewolf; 09-16-2013 at 04:45 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:

Sure, to us. I know the difference between a magazine and a clip. The problem is that arguing over semantics is a "forest for the trees" situation.

What is your priority? Showing off your superior gun knowledge or having a meaningful debate on why gun control doesn't work?

I've worked in the technology field for many years now. I have tons of esoteric knowledge that simply does not translate well to people who are non-technical. In the process of explaining projects or negotiating contracts it is very tempting to start correcting non-technical people on their vernacular. While I always make sure requirements or specification use the correct language, I have found that in trying to convince someone to see things my way or to at least consider my point of view trying to correct them on terminology is a great way to set them against me.

I don't own a single firearm that uses a clip. When I talk to someone who uses that term in reference to modern firearms, I just do a sort of inner head shake and keep my eye on the ball. Getting mired in the details is going to gain me nothing.

Now if I can get someone to the range and is interested in shooting, THAT is the time to do some education.
Can't argue with that. Overloading an idiots brain gets you nowhere fast. Completely agree. There is a time and place for educating. Also agree.
But...in my experience a bit of education can go a long way to converting an anti-gunner.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #9

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

It does matter. Gun grabbers use carefully chosen labels to advance their agenda. Like "high capacity clip", "assault rifle", "Saturday night special". These are inflammatory terms to win over people sitting on the 2nd Amendment fence.

Don't fall into their trap, use proper terms, not their labels.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 
Old 09-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Quote:

Crazed, I also work in a technical field and agree that when you are trying to come to terms on an agreement that it is of no import if they call a "widget" a "thingamajig" as long as the object is understood to be the same thing. Acting superior in any way is a great way to blow a deal and gains nothing for anyone.

However, the problem comes in this general attitude of the general public. "Whatever" or "I don't care" seems to be the response of almost everyone that doesn't want to exercise a brain cell on anything.

Example: a friend of mine went in to get a tattoo about a month ago. The artist asked him, "do you want this to be illustrative or realistic?" Now, he's a man's man and doesn't want to look stupid, but he doesn't know what illustrative means! Not a common term, and something the artist could easily explain, but he doesn't want to look stupid, so he replies, "Whatever." Can he get upset at the results? Now he could be screaming, "That wasn't what I wanted! You screwed up my arm!"

Or better yet, lets make it life-threatening. Someone who has ridden in a car for 30 years but doesn't want to be bothered with learning to drive is sitting in the passenger seat, looking a different direction than the driver, when he sees someone running a red light and about to hit their car. He shouts to alert the driver, "HIT THE...uhhh...thingy...on the floor...that slows..." WHAM!

If anyone had taken a moment to get past their "whatever" attitude, one wouldn't have a cartoon permanently inked to his arm and the other would be alive. Obviously I'm not saying that the clip vs. magazine thing is worthy of this level of attention, but the "Don't Care/whatever" attitude is.

A good general rule is that if you are in a confrontational posture, don't correct. If you are more congenial, and you can do it without looking like a superior snob, then it doesn't hurt to take a few seconds to educate. Some people find the trivia interesting and you can make it fun instead of demeaning. It's almost always in the way you deliver it, rather than the information itself.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This