Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Left handed shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1719 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Default Lefty, righty......................

I'm right handed, right eye dominant, when I had surgery on my right hand I found out what it's like to use the left hand in a bad situation.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #12

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm left handed and left eye dominant. I like single shot rifles because they are, for the most part, ambidextrous. Some people feel the need for a possible " fast follow up" shot. I've learned to live without " fast follow up" shots.
I buy right handed bolt actions because they are easier to find in a given caliber than a lefty rifle. Left handed rifles sometimes cost more and usually only come in a 06 or .270. Lefty rifles can also be difficult to sell when you decide you want something else.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #13
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7200

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I too am left eye dominant, but right handed, so I shoot my long guns on the left shoulder but I shoot my hand guns right handed but sight with my left eye.
This applies to both my wife and myself. She is, and always has been left eye dominant. Bow and long gun we both shoot LH, handgun, both of us sight left, shoot right.

I was born right handed, and right eye dominant. Due to the loss of the vision in my right eye, I switched eye dominance. Now for something to think about for all of you right or left hand and eye people.

When you shoot a bow or long gun, you are controlling your trigger, and the placement into the shoulder with your strong hand. That means you are stabilizing the gun, and taking most of it's weight, with your weak side. If you can shoot the opposite way, your off hand shots will become more accurate over time. Off hand practice also can give you an advantage when hunting, and during a (Lord, I pray this NEVER happens to anyone on here!) fire fight. The target will not always present it's self in a spot that you can fire on it from cover with your strong side. As I said, just some food for thought.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I'm lefty and have been shooting left hand since forever. I only own one firearm with an ambidextrous safety, my 84fs. Now when I carry I carry a Nano, no external safety. I do see a lot of left handed shooters at the range. My sister shoots left handed as well.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #15

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I am a lefty. I just bought my first left handed rifle a week ago after using right handed stuff for the last 30 years or so.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #16
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Left eye dominant and shoot lefty. Just gotten used to non-ambi guns. However, I’m ambidextrous otherwise. Baseball, throw righty, but switch hit-righty being significantly better. Golf righty. Kick righty. Bowl lefty. Basketball shoot lefty. Write lefty.
But I have to say, I’ve never shot right handed and tried to sight with the right eye only, in the event of an injury to my left eye. Next trip to the range will have to give that a try.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1781 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Left eye dominant and shoot lefty. Just gotten used to non-ambi guns. However, I’m ambidextrous otherwise. Baseball, throw righty, but switch hit-righty being significantly better. Golf righty. Kick righty. Bowl lefty. Basketball shoot lefty. Write lefty.
But I have to say, I’ve never shot right handed and tried to sight with the right eye only, in the event of an injury to my left eye. Next trip to the range will have to give that a try.
Same here, I throw, write, I'm even a better draw from the right side than from my left even though I shoot my best left handed (I can shoot my pistol pretty well right handed). I shoot pool left handed, play the guitar left handed, shoot my rifle left handed, shouldering a rifle for right handed usage just does not feel right to me.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 828 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 326

My son is right handed, but left eye dominant. I am left all the way, but cannot trade gun experience for selection and manage through shooting guns not aligned with my orientation. Have one left handed bolt, but it is awkward as an anomaly in my collection.

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 03-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I am left handed and left eye dominant. But in taking up shooting I found shooting right-handed felt the most natural. I atribute that to years using a computer mouse right-handed.

Ken -- Washington the State --
Newer gun owner = Sig Mosquito

Old 03-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I am able to shoot (rifle, pistol and shotgun), bat, fence (well when I was in college) and use martial weapons with both my hands. Takes practice, but you never know what will happen to your shooting hand or arm. I recommend practicing with both hands and eyes (scope).