Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Left handed shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

Default Left handed shooters

Left handed people make up about ten percent of the population. But I see a lot more than 10% shooting with their left hand. Are left handed people just drawn to the sport or are there a whole lot of left eye dominant people forced to shoot left handed?

No offense and none taken

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #2

Liked 55 Times on 36 Posts

My wife and I are lefthanded. We have two berretas cause they have safeties on both sides and the 92fs we could move the mag release to the other side.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #3

Liked 252 Times on 172 Posts

Leftist shooter....lefty shootist....
I fire from the left too

Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1772 Times on 1159 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Left handed people make up about ten percent of the population. But I see a lot more than 10% shooting with their left hand. Are left handed people just drawn to the sport or are there a whole lot of left eye dominant people forced to shoot left handed?
I'm left eye dominant, not forced to shoot left handed but I shoot better with my left hand as opposed to my right.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 677

I too am left eye dominant, but right handed, so I shoot my long guns on the left shoulder but I shoot my hand guns right handed but sight with my left eye.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

DFlynt Likes This 
Old 03-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 998 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Left eye dominant/Right handed. I mainly shoot rifles LH,but pistols it doesn't matter.I shoot just as good with either hand.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #7

Liked 97 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 89

My wife and I are both left handed, being left handed all our life is adapting to a right handed world!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #8

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

I'm a left handed shooter I do most everything else right handed except shoot and write. I always try and buy guns with ambi safeties

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #9

Liked 263 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i'm left handed but shoot righty. every eye dominance test i've taken has been inconclusive either way, so i continue to shoot the way i was taught, right eye, right handed.

i have a friend who is left eye dominent & he actually prefers right handed guns. his reasoning was when working bolt guns, you keep your finger on the trigger 100% of the time while your right hand works the bolt

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
i'm left handed but shoot righty. every eye dominance test i've taken has been inconclusive either way, so i continue to shoot the way i was taught, right eye, right handed.

i have a friend who is left eye dominent & he actually prefers right handed guns. his reasoning was when working bolt guns, you keep your finger on the trigger 100% of the time while your right hand works the bolt
I would agree with him except for the 'bolt' gun. I used RH bolt guns for MANY years and when I shot a LH bolt gun once it was so much better (natural) I could not go back. The reaching over is not natural. The exception to that is varmint shooting which is with a bi pod or rest, then the RH bolt is fine.
BUT those who shoot RH side eject long guns left handed (pumps and semi-autos, and levers) have a BIG advantage over their RH counter parts!!! When we have a malfunction we can SEE it before the RH shooter even knows it has happened. I have shot several quals with a pump shot gun which had a bad ejection problem without any problem because I could see the ejection port and was able to reach up with my RH and remove the empty protruding from the ejection port without missing a shot and with in the time allotted. I have had similar experiences with the AR platform.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 03-25-2013 at 02:04 PM.