Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Left handed shooters (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/left-handed-shooters-87313/)

MisterMcCool 03-24-2013 08:03 PM

Left handed shooters

Left handed people make up about ten percent of the population. But I see a lot more than 10% shooting with their left hand. Are left handed people just drawn to the sport or are there a whole lot of left eye dominant people forced to shoot left handed?

dalefan88 03-24-2013 08:23 PM

My wife and I are lefthanded. We have two berretas cause they have safeties on both sides and the 92fs we could move the mag release to the other side.

nosaj 03-24-2013 08:40 PM

Leftist shooter....lefty shootist....
I fire from the left too

DFlynt 03-24-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1188879)
Left handed people make up about ten percent of the population. But I see a lot more than 10% shooting with their left hand. Are left handed people just drawn to the sport or are there a whole lot of left eye dominant people forced to shoot left handed?

I'm left eye dominant, not forced to shoot left handed but I shoot better with my left hand as opposed to my right.

JimRau 03-25-2013 01:41 AM

I too am left eye dominant, but right handed, so I shoot my long guns on the left shoulder but I shoot my hand guns right handed but sight with my left eye.;)

Txhillbilly 03-25-2013 02:55 AM

Left eye dominant/Right handed. I mainly shoot rifles LH,but pistols it doesn't matter.I shoot just as good with either hand.

john300k 03-25-2013 04:08 AM

My wife and I are both left handed, being left handed all our life is adapting to a right handed world!

gearhead396 03-25-2013 05:22 AM

I'm a left handed shooter I do most everything else right handed except shoot and write. I always try and buy guns with ambi safeties

donthav1 03-25-2013 05:50 AM

i'm left handed but shoot righty. every eye dominance test i've taken has been inconclusive either way, so i continue to shoot the way i was taught, right eye, right handed.

i have a friend who is left eye dominent & he actually prefers right handed guns. his reasoning was when working bolt guns, you keep your finger on the trigger 100% of the time while your right hand works the bolt

JimRau 03-25-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donthav1 (Post 1189599)
i'm left handed but shoot righty. every eye dominance test i've taken has been inconclusive either way, so i continue to shoot the way i was taught, right eye, right handed.

i have a friend who is left eye dominent & he actually prefers right handed guns. his reasoning was when working bolt guns, you keep your finger on the trigger 100% of the time while your right hand works the bolt

I would agree with him except for the 'bolt' gun. I used RH bolt guns for MANY years and when I shot a LH bolt gun once it was so much better (natural) I could not go back. The reaching over is not natural. The exception to that is varmint shooting which is with a bi pod or rest, then the RH bolt is fine.:)
BUT those who shoot RH side eject long guns left handed (pumps and semi-autos, and levers) have a BIG advantage over their RH counter parts!!!:D When we have a malfunction we can SEE it before the RH shooter even knows it has happened. I have shot several quals with a pump shot gun which had a bad ejection problem without any problem because I could see the ejection port and was able to reach up with my RH and remove the empty protruding from the ejection port without missing a shot and with in the time allotted. I have had similar experiences with the AR platform.:cool: