Learning from the CO tragedy. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Learning from the CO tragedy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What would happen if the hundreds of thousands of those bearing arms refused to patronize businesses (including schools, theaters, and restaurants) that failed to recognize our right to defend ourselves? We'd have to make it an issue, tell the management (after making a reservation, or while doing so), so they'd know they lost income over their idiocy.

Call it a boycot, a civil action, whatever you like. It need not be "organized", just a million or more customers who refuse to expose ourselves and our families to the kind of dangers seen this morning six miles from my front door.

The police spokesman said that, following the receipt of the first 911 call, the murderer/assassin was arrested in 1:29. So, when seconds counted, the Aurora police were only a minute and a half away. (Please note, that was from the first CALL, not the first SHOT, no trivial distinction.)

As others have noted, a few well placed 9mm rounds from various seats in the theatre would have ended this tragedy before 12 people died, before a 3-month-old baby was sent to the hospital. I see no need to patronize a company who willingly and willfully allows its clients to die when the simple expedient of totally ignoring whether I carry a weapon into the business would nearly eliminate the danger.

Last edited by LeSellers; 07-21-2012 at 04:38 AM.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:26 AM   #12

Liked 759 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 238

On the news in Phoenix they said the theaters there had "no weapons" signs. To bad they did not have those signs in Colorado.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:35 AM   #13

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian22 View Post
Unfortunately I ABSOLUTELY believe that you will be reprimanded for it in today's messed up world!

See example:

http://www.wibc.com/news/Story.aspx?ID=1741886

Guy lost his job and potentially faces civil lawsuit, or at the very minimum being dragged into the case involving his employer because he stopped a threat and averted a tragedy!

Or look at the case from a few months ago of a woman who's life was saved when a cop shot a BG in the head who was holding her hostage with a knife to her neck in a mall. Now she is suing the town / police dept for "dramatizing" her. No that's not a typo, that is how it was spelled in the papers she filed.

It seems to be more and more common that "No good deed goes un-punished"!
I suppose 'reprimanded wasn't the best word to use there...prosecuted would have been better...

"The Marion County Prosecutor's Office ruled in January that Elliot was justified in shooting Atkinson and would not face criminal charges. Elliot was placed on administrative leave from Kroger after the shooting and decided not to accept an offer to return to the store after he was cleared of criminal wrongdoing"

He won't go to prison, honestly have no clue how things will pan out in the civil system but it's undeniably a travesty that he can even be brought to trial for doing his job as an armed citizen...me thinks money=motive for a civil suit...sad state of affairs...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-21-2012, 04:44 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
On the news in Phoenix they said the theaters there had "no weapons" signs. To bad they did not have those signs in Colorado.
It's nearly universal (no pun intended).

I'm almost decided: no business that refuses my weapon will get my trade. Love me, love my gun.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #15

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
They do have those signs in Colorado. The movie theatre in my town has a no gun sign. But...I haven't noticed it yet.

What I would do I can not say until I am in that situation. I will say that I will rethink what I carry in a crowd. At church I carry my 1911. I am afraid I would have to shoot from a distance in a church. I could make a body shot with my 1911 up to 35 yards if I had to. Not so much with my Kahr CM9. Which is what I carry most of the time.

I can tell you I would not be in a hurry to go up against a guy in full body armor carrying an AR, a shotgun and two hanguns with my little compact 9mm.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9407 Times on 4054 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Rick- I don't care how many guns he has- he can only shoot one at a time.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

alsaqr Likes This 
Old 07-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #17

Liked 242 Times on 179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Two hand guns at a time...........I'm just saying

Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9407 Times on 4054 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

The two gun mojo usually only works if you are Bruce Willis.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

LeSellers Likes This 
Old 07-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #19

Liked 26 Times on 12 Posts

I don't think an armed citizen(s) could have done a thing in this case. The guy had head to toe body armor I am told. And after the description of what went down, being armed, no gun signs wouldn't have meant s**t.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #20

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
It is the AR I would be concerned about. I qualitfied with that weapon out to something like 300 yards. Got out of the Army back in 1986. Dont remember the exact distance. But it was a much greatter distance than any handgun that exsists today. And with him wearing body armor, we are talking head shot. With a compact 9mm from say 40 yards? I am more than competent will all of my guns. But I would be a fool to take a shot like that in a crowd.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.