Learning from the CO tragedy.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Learning from the CO tragedy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Default Learning from the CO tragedy.

In light of the recent tragedy in CO I have a few questions.

For anyone unaware of what I'm talking about:
http://www.chron.com/news/article/Gu...do-3723477.php

So based on the info of it being during a movie, presumably without warning or alarm a BG enters theater from the back with a S&W AR-15, Remington Shotgun, and Glock (info from article) and lets loose after releasing some form of gas / smoke can: I would really like to hear input and ideas from anyone, particularly those who carry (open or concealed) how you would address this situation? Assume no kids, but significant other is there with you. Has or will this event change anything you do, not going to late night shows, sitting in a particular area you wouldn't have sat before? If easy and safe egress to escape is not an option do you stay down and covered with your loved one while innocents die around you, or do you attempt to gain an angle to end the threat? My mind races with possibilities just as I attempt to put myself in this situation.

Looking forward to positive, helpful input that could lead to training and the potential for us all to be able to better protect ourselves and potentially other innocents if presented with a similar situation.

Last edited by c3shooter; 07-21-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 222 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I will try my best to protect my loved ones.. by asking them to lay down flat between the seat rows, using seats as covers. Slowly pull out my gun, locate the target safely and end the threat in any possible ways. Well theory is easy to say.. in reality we never know. I might panic, nervous and etc. But for sure i have to protect my loved ones if they are with me.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Validates my decision to carry everywhere!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 07-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #4

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Concealed is concealed, nobody will be any the wiser until (God help us) you have to use it...and if you do, do you really think you'll be reprimanded for it? (assuming tragedy was averted)

The worst thing that can happen is you are asked to leave if...IF you are discovered which brings me back to the first point...concealed is concealed...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #5

Liked 724 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

In this instance it would not matter if you were packin or not. Very low light conditions, unless you were very close you most likely could not see the shooter or if you did see him, be able to safely fire in the crowded area, smoke/tear gas reducing visibility even more, people running screaming all around you, possible shooting/explosions and screaming still going on in the movie making it hard to locate the shooter or even know how many shooters there were. I would say a very bad scenario. Depending on how it was set-up you might want to lay on the seats instead of the floor as bullets would most likely be skidding along the floor. I think I'll just wait for the DVD.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 222 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I'll wait for the Bluray

Old 07-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Would push family down or to exit, depending on where we were in layout. Too many variables to give a simple answer- but the one thing that makes people quit shooting at you faster than anything else is to shoot them. As far as visibility, yes smoke and dark will make that a bitch- but his muzzle flash will light him up pretty good in the dark.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 07-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #8

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
...and if you do, do you really think you'll be reprimanded for it? (assuming tragedy was averted)
Unfortunately I ABSOLUTELY believe that you will be reprimanded for it in today's messed up world!

See example:

http://www.wibc.com/news/Story.aspx?ID=1741886

Guy lost his job and potentially faces civil lawsuit, or at the very minimum being dragged into the case involving his employer because he stopped a threat and averted a tragedy!

Or look at the case from a few months ago of a woman who's life was saved when a cop shot a BG in the head who was holding her hostage with a knife to her neck in a mall. Now she is suing the town / police dept for "dramatizing" her. No that's not a typo, that is how it was spelled in the papers she filed.

It seems to be more and more common that "No good deed goes un-punished"!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well first and foremost my priority would be my loved ones safety. i say this because their safety is my first concern and i am not paid to go after BG's. in a dark, and possibly smoke filled room, loud noises and flashes of light, i think it could be hard to acertain where the BG was and trying to shoot him could have me shooting and innocent person instead. i would personally only return fire if i knew for a certain fact that it was the BG i was shooting. but i would try to also keep my loved ones as low as possible while trying to move them towards an exit to safety.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:18 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Some food for thought- Not a theater, but the shooting at the church in Colorado Springs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Colorado_YWAM_and_New_Life_shootings

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.