Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Lead poisioning (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/lead-poisioning-44616/)

Fullclipchris 07-02-2011 06:19 AM

Lead poisioning

how hard is it to really get lead poisoning by reloading bullets. does anybody know the symptoms to look out for. cuz I feel like every time I pick up a round I have to wash my hands before smoke a cigarette.. thank you for any help for precautions you might have

Glasshartt 07-02-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fullclipchris (Post 533092)
Cuz I feel like every time I pick up a round I have to wash my hands before smoke a cigarette. Thank you for any help for precautions you might have

That is actually a pretty good idea.

ACES 6 07-02-2011 10:12 AM

Lead Poisoning

Found this - I'd be careful.

"Reloading of lead bullets has the same risk as handling lead ammo. Handling and cleaning spent cases is another source of lead. The dust from the tumbling media may contain high levels of lead. Tumbling should be done outdoors or with a vacuum. Also, the media used in the tumbler contains lead dust and should be handled with care."

rjd3282 07-02-2011 10:13 AM

I keep a box of latex gloves on the bench. They are cheap.

spittinfire 07-02-2011 10:24 AM

I honestly dont worry about it. I was my hands before and after handling any reloading equipment and I don't eat things while I reload. Your exposure to lead while shooting, reloading, handling ammo is very low....you're not eating them. In order to get lead posioning you need to be exposed to large amounts for extended periods of time where it can overwhelm your body and start to shut it down.
My wife is a potter and lead was used in a lot of pottery matterials in year past so I've heard the lead posioning speach from here a number of times.

Complete unrelated but they also used radioactive materials in production pottery in the first half of the 1900's. There are a number of collections of dinning room sets that aren't safe to handle, let alone eat from.

c3shooter 07-02-2011 11:47 AM

Lead can enter the body by inhalation, ingestion, and injection.

You can BREATHE lead dust. You can EAT lead. It can be pushed into the body (think 3000 fps)

You biggest concern in reloading, shooting, handling ammo is ingestion. Lead is soft, it can transfer to your skin when it rubs on it. Primers contain lead azide. As said, used tumling media will have lead.

Basic precautions? WASH exposed skin with soap and water before eating, drinking, smoking, or applying cosmetics (for all of you guys laughing, that includes Chapstik and sun block)

If you are CASTING, ventilation that is low down and away from you is good.

hiwall 07-02-2011 02:00 PM

Lead is bad but getting health problems from reloading once and a while is very unlikely. Lead effects the brain and the first symptom is often voting for a democrat.

BillM 07-02-2011 02:31 PM

I reload roughly 8,000 lead bullet loads per year, and an equal or higher
number of jacketed.

I'm also involved in USPSA practical pistol as a Range Officer and competitor,
so I breath a LOT of other peoples smoke.

I have my lead level tested annually--highest it's ever been is 7. Usually
it's around 4. 10 is the thresh-hold for "high".

Other than washing my hands after a reloading session, I take no
precautions.

Polygon 07-03-2011 08:58 PM

Every time I handle ammunition I wash my hands. It's just cheap insurance and there's no reason not to.

Rick1967 07-03-2011 11:15 PM

I wash my hands a lot. When ever possible I cast bullets outside. Kind of hard in the winter. That is when I do it in the garage with the door open.