Knowledge of a myriad of firearms?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Knowledge of a myriad of firearms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Knowledge of a myriad of firearms?

Hi folks,
I am trying to find some kind of database(ideally a book) that lists different types of firearms and how to operate them. I figured Firearmstalk was my best option for info. Do any of you wise and knowledgable people know of anything that would be useful to me in my hunt to know how to fire(basically) many different types of firearms without researching them one by one or even firing all of them myself? I would like to be able to come across a gun and know how to fire it quickly, if I needed to.

Thanks in advance for your information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Hi JTD, there are several things to know here.

First, many of us would like an introduction. You can tell us a bit about yourself and let us get to know you some.

As far as operating any gun goes...

There is no silver bullet for this question. There is no one method to operating just any weapon you come across.

The quickest way to learn is through training. There are classes that teach the fundamentals of several weapons over the course of a week.

With practice comes knowledge. If you can work an AR, you can work an AK. If you can work a DA revolver, you can work a GLOCK. If you can handle a potato gun, you should be able to fire a rocket launcher.

It comes from practice, knowledge, and experience. When you know the basic principles of firearms mechanics, it's not too hard to figure out an unfamiliar weapon.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Jtd5555, I have always used "Standard Catalog of Firearms" by Dan Shideler. It contains 25,000 models, 110,000 prices and 6 condition grades. It is mainly for collectors, but it also has descriptions and will keep you from paying too much if you decide to start trading on firearms.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-26-2011, 01:38 AM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

There is a website called "steve's pages". It has manuals on many many guns, old and new.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

Hey Trip286....sorry, I am very new to forums of any kind, let alone this one. I do more reading than posting.

I live in the South Atlanta Suburbs. I have experience with a few different kinds of handguns, shotguns, and rifles. I own a .40 XDM OD green and stainless. I am currently in the market for a .223 AK, a .22LR and a 12-gauge pump. I have two very young children and I am just now beginning to prepare for a SHTF situation. I have read many books that have served me well. Most recently, Wildwood Wisdom. Again, I am very ignorant with posting in any forum. If you would like to know anything else, just ask. Is this supposed to be in the introduction section? Thanks for all the good advice so far and forgive me if I am doing this wrong.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd5555 View Post
Hey Trip286....sorry, I am very new to forums of any kind, let alone this one. I do more reading than posting.

I live in the South Atlanta Suburbs. I have experience with a few different kinds of handguns, shotguns, and rifles. I own a .40 XDM OD green and stainless. I am currently in the market for a .223 AK, a .22LR and a 12-gauge pump. I have two very young children and I am just now beginning to prepare for a SHTF situation. I have read many books that have served me well. Most recently, Wildwood Wisdom. Again, I am very ignorant with posting in any forum. If you would like to know anything else, just ask. Is this supposed to be in the introduction section? Thanks for all the good advice so far and forgive me if I am doing this wrong.
There is an official intro section, but usually an intro in your first thread is acceptable too!
It seems to be more of a way for the mods and other active members to give an official welcome. In the intro section, you will also receive links making it easier to find the forum rules, FAQS, and all kind of other information. Really, the new member seems to get more out of it than we do, but we all enjoy meeting new people!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

jtd5555, why don't you jump over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

The problem with your quest is that no one writes a "All Firearms Functional Training for Dummies" (NO offense intended) book for the simple reason that no potential/current shooter would want to be caught buying it!

You have wandered into a unique environment here on the FireArmsTalk forum. We are chocked full of Alpha personalities, ladies inclusive (that's why I didn't say alpha-male, [* mad respect * to the women of the FTF!]) and you will find some very gun savvy people here. The rest of us just listen and gain knowledge transfer by reading.

You will also find that when someone asks a question there is a choir of helpful responses. Our objective here is to provide those new to our sport, a positive experience.

We can be an irreverent bunch on occasion but it's all in good humor. See my reply to your intro post.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello