Know your backstop! Or kill someone - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Know your backstop! Or kill someone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/06/17/3056554/stray-bullet-strikes-daughter.html
Quote:
FERNDALE - A 23-year-old woman has died after a stray bullet - fired from more than a half-mile away - struck her in the chest at a Father's Day barbecue.
Her dad called 911 in the late afternoon Sunday, June 16, to report bullets whizzing overhead at a family cookout on Gadwa Road, just west of the Nooksack River, said Whatcom County Sheriff's Sgt. Kevin Moyes. Moments later the man called back saying his daughter had been hit in the chest.
She was taken to St. Joseph hospital with critical injuries from a single bullet wound. Monday morning she succumbed to her injuries.
Responding sheriff's deputies heard more gunfire echoing on the other side of the river. They traced the shots to a group of five people a little more than a half mile to the east. All of them were detained and interviewed. They had been shooting handguns and high-powered rifles near the riverbank, in the direction of the house on Gadwa, according to the sheriff's office.
Deputies seized two rifles and two handguns, along with ammunition.
Two of those men - Robert Allen Lee, 23, of Bellingham, and Douglas Eugene Quiding Jr., 40, of Ferndale - were booked into jail Sunday, said Whatcom County Undersheriff Jeff Parks. Each of them faces four counts of felon in possession of a firearm. They did not know the woman or her family.
Detectives continued to track down witnesses Monday afternoon. Depending on the investigation, Lee and Quiding may face much more serious charges.
People gathered at the house Monday morning declined to speak to a reporter. Authorities had not released the woman's name as of Monday evening.
Too stupid for words.

NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2211 Times on 1311 Posts
Likes Given: 1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
It wasn't intentional. The people started hearing bullets coming past so they were running inside but the lady stopped to grab a kid and she got hit. I don't know the caliber
I think you missed the point. I know it was not intentional. The point I was making is the probability of this happening even with the 'stupid' factor applied is astronomical. The article above said 1/2 mile+ which make a lot more sense. 880 yds is a 1/2 mile so a shot from a 'high powered rifle' could easily do that damage.

Last edited by JimRau; 06-18-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #13

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

I think you missed the point. I know it was not intentional. The point I was making is the probability of this happening even with the 'stupid' factor applied is astronomical. The article above said 1/2 mile+ which make a lot more sense. 880 yds is a 1/2 mile so a shot from a 'high powered rifle' could easily do that damage.
I see. The original reports were that it was a mile. Cutting that distance in half would definitely increase the likelyhood of danger.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

These are the same type of idiots who also shoot at roadside signs, etc, and give reason to ban all guns eventually.

Edited after reading 2 other posts on the very same subject. Good job, guys.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #15

Liked 1147 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

We currently live in a semi-rural area, on about 3 acres, about half of which is cleared, and half is still woods, backed up by still more woods. At one point the uncleared land goes down to a small stream, then rises again on the other side. The rise in the land is enough to stop a bullet if I am shooting from the cleared part into a target at the edge of the woods, yet I was nevous about shooting where I couldn't actually SEE my backstop. So when we built the house I had the guy digging out the basement make me a large dirt pile at the edge of cleared land to serve as I backstop. I feel much better about shooting down there now.

In the area where I live, deer hunting is huge. The opening day of deer season is actually a school holiday. I have to admit I'm nervous about armed strangers wondering around behind our house. I keep expecting bullets to come through the wall. One of my cigar shop buddies is a game warden, and apparently they investigate several such stories each year.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #16

Liked 2110 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
Also, shocking I know, two of the five people shooting were felons.
And there it is! Those are the type of people that don't go to a public range. Can't risk going to jail just to be safe!
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I only if ever go to a shooting range when I am down in Nevada at front sight, or sighting in a scope for its final zero. But otherwise I am always out in the outdoors, far from most the idiots who go to shooting ranges and are constantly pointing their 'unloaded' weapons at me.

Im just sayin'

Old 06-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #18

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967

And there it is! Those are the type of people that don't go to a public range. Can't risk going to jail just to be safe!
Wouldn't you shoot outdoors privately if you had the choice? I have never shot indoors or at a public range ever.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 3

my idiot neighbors use a pile of dirt for a back stop which would be fine if it didn't have a bunch of rocks in it. Every once in a while we hear one zing overhead. We've tried talking to then but it did no good.