Know Thy Enemy - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Know Thy Enemy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I hate to drop a flash-bang into this, but one thing I discovered PERSONALLY while doing primary firearms training for a couple of rotations at the academy is this:

MANY...and by MANY...I mean a majority of recruits with NO PRIOR firearms experience qualified with higher scores and became more proficient more quickly than "gun people" who had prior firearms experience, unless that experience was professional training which was exceedingly rare.

I attribute this to the absense of "machismo connected to their gun skills", and not having to "unteach" ingrained bad habits. I had to overcome a LOT of bad juju teaching some of the gun guys. The gals....they did a great job. They actually listened. Go figure.

Just food for thought.

Last edited by ArizonaLawman; 10-19-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
I hate to drop a flash-bang into this, but one thing I discovered PERSONALLY while doing primary firearms training for a couple of rotations at the academy is this:

MANY...and by MANY...I mean a majority of recruits with NO PRIOR firearms experience qualified with higher scores and became more proficient more quickly than "gun people" who had prior firearms experience, unless that experience was professional training which was exceedingly rare.

I attribute this to the absense of "machismo connected to their gun skills", and not having to "unteach" ingrained bad habits. I had to overcome a LOT of bad juju teaching some of the gun guys. The gals....they did a great job. They actually listened. Go figure.

Just food for thought.
You have a valid point, although I wouldn't agree with "MANY, and by MANY", I would go with just 1 "MANY". On the other hand I probably wasn't exposed to as many raw recruits as you have been, and my experience is dated by a few years. The thing I observed was MANY became acute at marksmanship, although there are some who just can't get good at it despite all the effort of help (and I take it very personal when I can not help a student overcome a problem), but these are few......there was a lack of confidence in their quest to run the gun and with little time to devote (in some cases, desire.....or perhaps the understanding and reality of importance), their perishable skills fell off quickly. Then, again, I would get a lot of the problem children......doesn't mean there are lot of problem children in a class, just I was available to help and so I was working more with those gun challenged students.

Totally agree with the ladies......how refreshing, they actually LISTEN. And, agree in part with the old habits die hard, and some just refuse to give them up.

The cops I gun with, run with, or teach, are top notch. Not only good marksman, but also hot shots on handling, running the gun, keeping ahead of the situation and open minded about improving. They are also great people, and good at their jobs.

......just another opinion.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #23

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post

Just food for thought.
I completely agree. Most people who have had some 'experience' with firearms, if it was done improperly, make lousy students.
After they realize their errors, they usually open their mind up and can learn better.
But, bad habits are hard to break, and that is why I think a new trainee with no experience can learn faster and better than the 'old hand' who is making a living on misinformation.
I agree with the women comment. Until you get married. Then they just go deaf as a post. Unless you say something negative, in a subsonic whisper, which they'll hear from four rooms away.